SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bradarmi

Companion planting to citrus in containers?

bradarmi
15 years ago

A while ago someone from Australia asked about companion planting under citrus trees in containers. The responses where few, but nasturtiums came up.

I had an outbreak of citrus aphids (I am pretty sure they where them since they where rather dark, but I realize there are plenty of species of aphids). Interestingly, I grow my citrus indoors for the winter in Chicago, so maybe they highjacked into some new plants from a groews in Florida. I sprayed with neem and soap and it looks under control. First outbreak of aphids in over 10 years!

I have been planning our vegetable garden and instead of monoculture, I eliminated the beds and am planting herbs, fruits, flowers, and veggies together (companion planting) in a cottage style. I thought it would be interesting to do the same with citrus.

I was thinking rosemary, basil, or chives; but I have experience growing them outdoors, never indoors. Any thoughts or suggestions? All plants, with their essential oils are supposed to deter aphids and other nasties, just looking for some feedback.

thanks

Comments (3)