SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
john_alexander_gw

Jade Plant Dying? Or Just Normal?

John_Alexander
11 years ago

Hi! I got a nice little jade cutting a few months ago... never had one before but always wanted one. For a while it was doing well; I had it in a little clay pot by the bright west patio door with tons of sun. I water it about once a week, but not very much... it only takes an ounce or two before water runs out the bottom, and I drain that.

So around the first of June, I noticed that its leaves were getting rimmed with red, and some of the bottom leaves were very gradually turning yellow. I thought maybe it was getting scorched by the hot sun, so I moved it back from the window about 8 feet. I also started turning on the A/C in the apartment so it wouldn't be 95 inside every day (more like 80). No luck; it's worse than before. I don't think I'm overwatering it... I tried to stick a pencil in the dirt last night and I couldn't even push it in, it was so bone dry. Last night it lost its first leaf ever... the most wrinkly one you see on the front of the stem. It was soft and bendy. I don't think it has mites because the leaves are smooth. It does have some pale mint-green algae-looking stuff growing on the surface of the dirt, but someone told me that was normal.

Is this yellowing normal? Will it be healthy again? I don't want to kill this plant; it's so cute.

Comments (30)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County