SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ideal2545

Dwarf Key Lime Help! Sun Damage!

ideal2545
12 years ago

Hi All,

So I picked up a dwarf key lime a few months ago and it has been thriving well inside of the house in its default container. Its been really cold at night, down to the 30's at times, so I decided it would be best to wait until it was at least 50 degrees consistently at night before putting it outside.

So, as of yesterday, the weather report showed a high of 71 and overcast and a low of 50 at night, and pretty similar through the next week. I thought this would be a good opportunity to put the key lime outside since the sun would be a bit hidden and the temps were about the same as inside the house.

Well, I should have known better than to trust the weather man! It reached 105 degrees on my thermometer and the sun was out in full swing, looks like a freak flash heat day. I was at work for 8 hours, when I got home to see the tree, 75% of its leaves had curled up and were pretty much crispy brown. Of the 25% that didnt curl up and die off, the majority have brown spots on them. The rest, very minor few seem to still have nice olive green leaves on them.

What should I do? Should I just leave it back inside until it recovers? Normally I would have just put it out for a few hours in the morning and then slowly acclimated it if it was going to be a 100 degree day or week, but since the weather was supposed to be perfect... ugh! Maybe I should cut off all the bad leaves that are obviously dead and try to slowly acclimate it to outside conditions?

Any ideas would be really gratefully appreciated!

Jon

Comment (1)