SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
starkaudio

Opinions wanted - Health check on this Haworthia

starkaudio
10 years ago

Good afternoon!

I'm no green thumb, but have fallen in love with a few succulents my wife got me over the weekend. I'm hoping I can describe my situation and get someone here to give me their opinion on the viability of my new little green friends in their current environment.

I have a window office on the SW-facing side of an office building in Zone 6. It gets a lot of bright sun from just before noon till sunset at this time of year (August.) I do have filter blinds I can lower if needed, cutting the light significantly. My office is climate controlled to be about 72F degrees year round with weekend fluctuations (a little warmer or cooler on the weekends.) It's medium-dry in here with excellent ventilation, and a bit of HVAC breeze.

If you look at the photo, this little Haworthia has some dried tips and I'm not sure if that's normal. Also some of the lower leaves are stained somewhat brown, but it looks like it's sitting in some kind of peat, though the pot feels very very light to me. I'm not sure what it's sitting in.

Is this a healthy plant? (opinions welcome!)

From my reading it sounds like in order to try and make it as happy as possible I should water it less than my gut tells me to water plants. Someone said "only when it's dry, never more than once per week during the spring/summer and only monthly in the fall/winter." Does that sound reasonable?

Does it's location look like too much or enough sun?

What is a good way to determine if a plant is "dry enough" for watering? Should I buy a probe?

I searched the forum for Haworthia but just about everything is "ID this for me?" rather than care and feeding suggestions.

I also received an Echevaria of some kind and a round cactus. I'm assuming that the care schedule for each is similar to the Haworthia. Or am I wrong?

Thank you for your input! Sincerely!

This post was edited by starkaudio on Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 14:54

Comments (9)