SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenkid_2008

Overwintering Brugmansia Sanguinea

greenkid_2008
15 years ago

Hi, I have a Brugmansia Sanguinea that I started from seed early this spring, It is now about 8ft tall now and has just formed a natural 'Y', but it is too big to keep in my greenhouse as it is already growing into the roof!

I really don't want to induce dormancy and would prefer to keep her going through the winter.

So my question is how should I prune her just to reduce her height? I have read that I shouldn't cut off the 'Y', but she is just too tall, Could I cut her back to any point on her main stem? and would the lower nodes just bush out and grow up?

Also how easy is it to take cuttings from Brugmansia Sanguinea? Iv'e heard its quite hard...

Here are two pis of her, top and bottom...

{{gwi:570044}}

{{gwi:570045}}

Comments (28)

• knotz
    15 years ago

Wow...Yours grew great in one year from seed...Mine only got about 4' tall...This is my first year with them, so I don't know much :(

I cut mine down, so I'm not sure what to tell you but there are those on here that grow them and they can help you.

What color is yours??...I was given some seeds a few years ago that were labeled "red brug", so we're still trying to figure out what "kind" it is.

Very nice plant and I hope someone here can help you.

knotz

• greenkid_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey thanks for your reply...She has grown exceptionally well this summer actually, and believe it or not I have only fed her about 4 times all Summer, with a very weak Miracle Grow All Purpose...about 1/4 strength.
    In answer to your question, mine is Red, it's a Brugmansia Sanguinea, which I believe is the only 'True' Red Brug, so it's more than likely that's what you have.
    So are you just going to store the root ball and bring it out next spring?

• Related Discussions

Help starting brugmansia sanguinea from seed

Q

Comments (12)
    Dan, Our T&M shot upwards of 10 feet and the leaves just didn't look right at all. Save your packages if you buy from them as they seem be white not a Sang., they need the information so they can scrap that seed lot. But it sure is strange if only Sangs. are grown in that area for them to come out white? We now ask where their seeds come from before we buy, it seems a lot get them from whole sale seed suppliers. Then the next questions is have you grown any out? If so what are the shape of the leaves? If they can't answer these questions I won't buy. Of if I buy it's just a hand full to see what they will do before buying a boat load. Threas sent you a great link for information from CC. I would of just sent you to my site, do that time and read either, lots of information out there.
    ...See More

Brugmansia sanguinea comparason

Q

Comments (8)
    Sounds like they enjoy being outside... When you have them inside they (as a rule) don't get the conditions ideal for maximum growth. ~Fresh air .. sunshine.. The side shoots could just be the seed... I have started alot of seed and now and again I have a small side shoot most of the time not when hey are small... BTW!! Welcome! Kylie
    ...See More

brugmansia sanguinea

Q

Comments (3)
    Jenf, According to the book "Brugmansia and Datura Angel's Trumpets and Thorn Apples" by Ulrike and Hans-Georg Preissel what you are describing is correct for B.sanguinea. Though the leaves may vary from egg-shaped to spear-like they have an indented edge and are covered in soft hairs as are the young branches and the corollas of the flower. Sounds like you have a B. sanguinea. Joe
    ...See More

Brugmansia sanguinea

Q

Comments (17)
    Great sangs, great pics Bill! Didn't know you're in the PNW too. Thanks for the vote of confidence, Karma, I sure hope they do well. I'll be moving all of them to a second location deeper in mountains as the summer heats up. My sang seedlings are starting to come up! I did get the real deal from Gardenstore-n-more, which are the ones coming up now. Also have a bunch from Rich that will likely take longer as they should be a couple years older. I'd sure like to meet that fellow west of Portland sometime. When you told me about it before it sounded like he has alot going there... Does he only grow sangs or other montane species too?
    ...See More
  • karyn1
    15 years ago

Nice looking brug but it doesn't look like Sanguinea foliage. I might be wrong because none of mine have ever reached that size. I think it's best to keep sangs growing year round. I did allow one to go dormant and it did regrow the following spring but never regained it's vigor and eventually bit the big one.

• greenkid_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's funny you should say that, as lots of people have said she doesn't look like a Sanguinea!
    I defo want to keep her going through the Winter, I'm just unsure of pruning procedure just to control height, I really don't want to do something wrong as I think she is just getting ready to flower, hence the 'Y' she has formed...

• pagrdnr
    15 years ago

You must have taken really good care of your brug to get it from seed to 8ft in one season. If you have to trim it back to fit it in it looks lke you'll have to cut the Y off. It won't hurt the brug but it will have to grow a new one before you can get flowers. It will put out a side shoot (branch) below where you made the cut that will grow and eventually Y. You could try to root the part you cut off that has the Y and you may get earlier blooms. I have heard that sangs are very hard to root. I am not trying to burst your bubble but I agree with Karyn, it doesn't look like sang. foliage. The pics I've seen of sang foliage look like the leaves have kind of scalloped edges. But I may be wrong. Either way you have done great with it to get a seed grown brug to grow that fast.
    Shawn

• grrrnthumb
    15 years ago

Greenkid that is a great looking brug! It's not a sanguinea, but it sure has a great shape, and it looks ready to bloom now. Chances are that if you looked really close, you might even find tiny buds in there somewhere.
    One thing you could try is to chop the trunk low, at a new height to gain you a few feet, and re-root this section like a giant cutting (5 gal bucket, 2" of water, and a little aquarium air stone bubbler works great for these). You could keep this portion in the greenhouse and it will retain the Y. It might be a little while before you see blooms, but much sooner that than if it all went dormant or if you pruned off the Y. This way you could put the original pot & trunk stub in the garage/basement for cool storage, and the Y keeps growing in the greenhouse, just a little lower.
    Whatever you do, I would wait as long as you can. If it's not doing damage to the greenhouse, and it's not doing major damage to the main Y structure of the brug, then you might still see blooms before it's absolutely too late, and it might not hurt anything to just let it scrunch a little.
    - Tom

• karmahappytoes
    15 years ago

Not a sang and you should shape her into a tree form, strip all the lower shoot off and leave her alone!

• greenkid_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey guys, thanks for your replies, pagrdnr, thanks for the compliment, It is nice to see i'm taking care of her OK because I am very attached to her!! I agree with you that Sangs usually have serrated foliage, which this one doesn't, any ideas on what she might be?
    And grrrnthumb thanks for the tips, I think I will try this, the only thing that was stopping me trying to take a giant cutting was that I heard Sangs were extremely difficult to root from cuttings, but if general opinion is that she is not a Sang, I will give it ago, I can still let the original root ball and trunk carry on growing in the greenhouse too no?
    Anyway many thanks for the advice guys.

• greenkid_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

karmahappytoes, the problem is she is too tall for my Greenhouse and it is far too cold outdoors, so I have to cut her back, believe me I wish I could leave her too but it's not possible.

• karyn1
    15 years ago

Whatcha' got growing behind your brug?

• greenkid_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's a variegated Kenaf (Hibiscus cannabinus).

• karyn1
    15 years ago

I have Tx Star hibiscus and the foliage is very similar but that one really looks like pot. lol

• greenkid_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

lol. Well like I said it's 'Variegated'...

• pagrdnr
    15 years ago

May I ask where you got the seed?
    Shawn

• fool4flowers
    15 years ago

It looks like it needs some epsom salt to green it up, lol. Very nice brug too. I think you have enough head room in the greenhouse to let the brug bloom before you cut it back if you wanted too. It shouldn't grow a lot taller now. It will be concentrating on blooming instead.

• greenkid_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Shawn I got the seed for the Brug from a Seller on Ebay, seednation I think...
    Fool4flowers the brug has grown about 6 inches in the las 3 days, and she is showing no sign of slowing down...I think some plants can still grow over 1/3 in size while flowering...

• karmahappytoes
    15 years ago

I still wouldn't cut her back, I see she is at the top but allow the branches to turn downward.

• karyn1
    15 years ago

I agree with KHT. The top branches are pliable enough to bend as they push against the top of the GH. That might give you an interesting shape as well. lol

• greenkid_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I had a feel of the top branches and they are very pliable, so I will give this a shot, if it doesn't work I'm going to bring her in to my room for winter, although I'm not sure if it's safe to sleep in the same room when she blooms...
    BTW do I take all foliage and nodes off her main stem, right up until the 'Y' and leave all new foliage at the top? I presume this is purely to shape her right?

• karyn1
    15 years ago

The blooms aren't dangerous it's just that the scent can be overwhelming in a confined area. To make it a tree form strip all the growth off the main stem, leave the growth starting above where it branches. You will continually have to strip new growth along the main stem. If new shoots emerge from below the soil you can cut them back immediately or wait until they are big enough to root.

• greenkid_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Karyn1, I get it now lol, just out of curiosity, if I didn't strip the foliage off her trunk, would she just grow very busy, like a shrub? Would this slow her to bloom?

• karmahappytoes
    15 years ago

This one doesn't appear to be the shrub type, all those that your remove you can root. Next question is did you save the seed package and any additional information you can supply will help us out. We lived with over 300 Brugs
    in the house one winter and the only thing that cause was my DH using the 'D' word. You can check out what we do at our website and hopefully that will help!
    I spent all day trying to cram as many Brugs in the Brug House as I can and I have the biggests ones left to go in.
    John that one outside the kitchen window just barely fit, TNN will be the last one to go in as it will take up half the space if I can't cut her back.

• greenkid_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

WOW! Karmahappytoes, can I come and live with you??!! Your Brugs are absolutely amazing!
    Your site is really cool too, I know what to do now from looking at the pictures! I'm going to strip her trunk today and bring her into my utility room overwinter...
    Unfortunatly, I only started gardening at the beginning of 2008 and my organizational skills were somewhat lacking,(much better now though...!) so I have misplaced or thrown out the original packaging, but as soon as I get a flower I will post some photos and hopefully somebody like you will be able to identify her...
    I plan to increase my Brugmansia collection vastly, so if you have any seeds for trade or purchase, I would love some! I prefer to get seeds from a place where the plants are either self-sown or very happy - yours being the latter.
    p.s On your site there is a photo of a pure white Brug, even the leaves, really beautiful!

• karmahappytoes
    15 years ago

greenkid_2008, thank you! DH was saying once we got the temp Brug house up we should sell our house and list it with a 5th bedroom. He hasn't been out since the lights were put up and there is no room for anyone in there now.
    So todays task is to make room and possible add a new shelf unit. I need room to walk around and to just sit!
    One great lesson I can pass along to anyone new is to make a journal and take a shoebox/plastic tote and toss all your seed/plant packages in it. We used to keep two one for the veggie garden until DH started putting the listing on the his computer, I maybe kicking myself if I allow him to do this but time will tell. Reason being is we ordered B. Sangs from Park Seeds and 3 years down the road it bloomed yellow. When I called Park Seeds they wanted the package information and yep it was in the box. It was recorded in the journal and it was easy to know when and where to look. It's also great to have the name of the plants purchased that year in the journal just in case the marker disappears. I used to keep this all in my head but I find with age, one tends to forget.
    Which white one were you looking at? Sorry no seeds this year and a little late on the cuttings as again this year we didn't cut back as the plants were small or didn't do much. This was a disappointing year for us due to several issues, mainly the no rain for the PNW, no rain water to feed the babies. One can sure tell the difference.

• greenkid_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here are some pix of my brug, she is doing well, but I have had a couple problems...I removed all the foliage right up to the Y, and brought her inside, well, most of the leaves fell off, then she was infested with spider mite, anyway, I had to snap the top of her off the spider mite was so bad, so at one point it was just a bare trunk...anyhoo, now you can see it is growing back nicely from the top two nodes, and I am defo sure it is not a Sanguinea, because I started some more Sanguinea seeds with guaranteed authenticity, and one germinated, and it looks very different to this one...So anyone have any clue what she might be? The suspense of waiting for a flower is KILLING me!!!

{{gwi:570046}}

{{gwi:570047}}

{{gwi:570048}}

• givelittle_getlots
    15 years ago

you tricked me lol. Not until I saw your last pictures did I realize that the thread itself is a lot older lol.

Well you got yourself a beautiful tree shaped brug. Good luck with your TRUE Sanguinea seeds this time :-)

Lucy

• threas
    15 years ago

Hi greenkid!You can keep stripping ALL the leaves off, if you're still having pest problems. When you go to put the brug outside the leaves will get sunburned anyway.Might as well not give the bugs anything to munch on inside.The leaves will grow back really fast, once it goes outside.
    There's no telling what color your brug will bloom. Although, I think alot of seedlings are white. Yours won't have a name,it will be a NOID, NO ID.Alot of us have NOIDs,losing tags and forgetting the name,makes them NOIDs also.:)The anticipation is half the fun!LOL

Theresa

• greenkid_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Lucy, yeah I started this thread last fall when I was unsure of how to keep her through winter, I stared her from seed about a year ago, and she got this big in the first season so I couldn't put her in my greenhouse because she was too tall! I took KarmaHappyToes advice and stripped her right to the top to get a tree form, I am well happy with the results.

Hi Theresa, thanks for the advice, and I am very happy to say that the bug problem is under control now thank god, I find I have lots of pest problems with overwintering my Solanaceaes.
    So, the reason I am keeping the leaves on her is just because she looks so pretty!!!
    and she is a NOID eh??!! Well I can live with that! I hope she is White like Brug Arborea, but you are right, anticipation is half the fun :)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES