SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_scott77

Finally SUCESS!

Andrew Scott
12 years ago

Hello everyone,

I know it has been a hile since I was active on this forum. I want you all to know that I truly love my citrus and this forum. I dissapeared for a short time due to some health issues...bad back pain, sick with a terrible cold, but I'm back!

A while back I bought 3 citrus from Four Winds. Variegated Pink Lemon, Kishu and Page Mandarin. Sadly, I wasn't prepared for them. I didn't have the gritty mix for them, and it looks like I may lose the Kishu and Page. Page looks much better and may pull thru.

The Variegated Pink Lemon was the champ. I actually pruned this tree, shortening 2 of the main branches to get them to branch out for me.

I did this gradually, pruning one branch a few weeks ago, and the other last night. The 1st branch I dipped into a powder root hormone, and I planted it into a small 4 in terra cotta pot. I then put a small zip lock sandwhich bad over the whole pot and then I put that onto my plant table with my 600 watt HPS light.

Within a week, that cutting was showing vegatative growth, but I knew better. I knew it wasn't rooting yet, so thinking it was best to keep energy directed to the developing roots, I removed that growth. Last night, I decided to play peek a boo(LMAO...not something I would ever recommend as I could have broken any of the fragile developing roots.). When I pulled out the cutting, I found several tiny baby roots!

Today I am thinking I will remove a branch from my Page and Kishu mandarin, and hopefully I can get these too also root.

I think Mike may have been on to something here. He had told me a while back thathe had found that citrus that are rooted grow much better than citrus on another root stock. I wonder what the reasoning is behind that??

Andrew

Comments (8)