SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeffahayes

Baby Bullfrog

jeffahayes
18 years ago

Well, these might be the ONLY pictures you ever see of this fella/gal, as just after I shot the second one I'm posting, I attempted to net it so I could move it to one of my ponds for safety... got the net over it, easy enough (three or four times, in fact, but as it was in a tangle of extension cord, I couldn't seem to get it caught up in the net, and every time I lifted the net to try to get a better "scoop" it did a better job of hopping away -- in the WRONG direction (back TOWARDS the house) into a tangled mess of leaves and whatnot under the patio table I need to clean out.

I never COULD locate it after it finally got in there (same place a baby toad hopped into a few nights earlier), and can only HOPE it found its way back out into the yard and to one of the ponds, as there's NO WAY it could hop back up into the whiskey-barrel fountain it grew up in (too high).

Anyway, here's a couple pics, as promised... First one is sitting on a little lily pad IN the barrel fountain the night of the 27th; second one is on the concrete patio floor, next to the extension cord in the rain, the following night (right after I took this, I put up the umbrella and camera and came back with just spotlight and net... had I not needed a spotlight, I would have had a second hand free to grab him, but such is night).

I hope he/she makes it!

Jeff

{{gwi:581868}}

{{gwi:581869}}

NOTE: I cropped WAY IN on both of these photos, as I couldn't get extremely close with the camera, so the frog actually appears a bit bigger than it is... base your size estimate on the extension cord in the second picture, which is 14 gauge outdoor heavy-duty and not quite as big as it appears in the picture... If you look closely, you may also note the frog still has a bit of vestigial tail, proof it's JUST finishing up as a tadpole.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio