SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caracara_gw

How do I get a Meyer lemon to rebound?

caracara
14 years ago

Hi all,

I'm very new to citrus gardening (started in January), so I need some advice.

As I mentioned in another post (about re-potting Calamondins), I bought a Meyer lemon tree online. It arrived in the peak of health; absolutely gorgeous, with dozens of bloosm and very, very tiny baby lemons starting on it. (I think we all know where this story is heading, don't we? :-) Anyway, as I couldn't get to the store (snow), and I had to pot it right away, I used potting soil, with a layer of pea gravel in the pot bottom.I foolishly folded a paper towel over the drainage hole (so the gravel wouldn't leak out, figuring the paper would rot later). The seller did send instructions, which called for a topsoil/coarse sand mix, but, as I said, a snowstorm had started, It thrived for weeks, then the leaf drop started, but the plant looked, and still looks, healthy. Last Sunday, I re-potted it. The leaf drop seemed to abate for 2 days, but now most of the leaves are gone, despite a tiny new flower bud developing (all the other blooms dropped off,as did the baby lemons). Again, I stupidly put a new paper towel in the pot (this time, to keep the soil from making a mess while we carried the whiole thing indoors--about 6ft worth of plant + pot). Should I try to remove the towel? When I took the first one out, it was soaked with water, not decomposed. I think this may be the problem--it's holding in dampness near the roots. It's a shame I wasn't smart enough to think of that when I re-potted it on Sunday!

Any ideas on how to rejuvenate the plant? I see no signs of pests, and the plant looks healthy, except for one end of a branch; some of the tiny off-shoots look a bit brownish.

BTW, the Calamondin is doing GREAT--lots of flower buds, and even 3-4 new very tiny oranges (when it arrived, it had about 20 ripe ones, which I used, so these babies are new ones since I took care of it). It also has some new leaves.

Can someone help me? I don't want to kill the poor lemon tree!!! Thanks!

Comments (3)