SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tropicanarama

Cool RED stone lantern - but can I break some color rules?

tropicanarama
19 years ago

So all this talk of bad combinations has me worried!

I just the other day got a wonderful vintage stone lantern at an estate sale. It's Chinese red, 5 feet tall, and it has wonderful detail and patina. The only problem is, I have a VERY small garden and the only place that it could really be sited was next to a huge, unmoveable 75-year old bourbon rose that happens to be a cool red-pink. Now I'm considering planting for next year and I'm debating how to deal with what could be a potentially dreadful color combination.

Here's the lantern:

{{gwi:588162}}
{{gwi:588163}}
And here's the large rose planted next to it - I'm pretty sure it's an Isaac Pereire bourbon:

{{gwi:588164}}
First of all, should I move heaven and earth to get these two away from each other? And secondly, is there a "bridge" color that could be planted around the lantern and at the feet of the rose to improve the situation?

The two things I thought about where white (nicotiana, Casablanca lilies, white liatris, white malva, maybe some white cushiony stuff at the base) and super-light blush pink (delphinium, lilies, the right lupines, pink baby's breath.) The pink would only work if it got that "Cherry blossoms around a Japanese temple" feel. The only other thing I can think of is to do silvery greens to try and create some neutral space, but I both don't want to lose the space for flowers for cutting, and I can't imagine what could be planted around it in small quantities that would be TALL enough.

...Any ideas you have would be HUGELY appreciated! It's driving me a little nuts at the moment. :)

Comments (5)

Sponsored