SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hoosierquilt

My First Wekiwa Tangelolo

Well, I got brave and picked my first Wekiwa tangelolo yesterday and am enjoying it today. It was very small, but very sweet and delicious. Dr. Manners, I guess the Wekiwa likes it here in N. San Diego county about 6 miles from the ocean :-) I had to think a bit, to remember what it reminded me of, taste-wise. It finally popped into my head: A sweeter version of a Minneola. It has a teeny aftertaste of the quinine from the pith, but also you can taste a very sweet citrus oil aftertaste. No grapefruit note at all. Extremely juicy so much so it was hard to eat in the peel (I ended up with juice running down my arms, which was surprising for such a small fruit.) The flesh was not at all pink-tinged, but sort of pale orange, or dark yellow. Sort of like a Cocktail but a wee bit paler. And somewhat seedy. Quite delicious and a very pleasant surprise! I'll pick some more and snap some photos of them later today after I get out of the pool. Yes, I said pool. It is 85 degrees today. Outrageous.

Patty S.

Comments (13)