SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ticksmom419

Unknown clematis -- pruning and training

ticksmom419
18 years ago

Afternoon! Last summer, I got a piece of clematis that someone basically ripped out of the ground for me and threw into a pot. Amazingly, the thing lived. It's lucky, because I was too busy/lazy to trim its brown stem back over the winter, not understanding that new growth would come from that stem as well as from the base. At any rate, it's growing like crazy and I'm full of ideas as to where it can go. But I have no idea how big it will be because I don't know what kind it is. And I've never grown a clematis before, so I've got lots of questions.

1) I have it planted now at my foundation and I have a rather small trellis that I will use to encourage it up to the top of my porch. How do I get it from the ground up to the trellis, though? The trellis is perhaps 5 feet above where the plant is now. New growth is just laying on the ground.

2) Once it gets to the top of the trellis, can I use wire or line or something to train it along the top of my porch? And over my garage? Can it grow sideways wherever I want it to go? And I must admit I'm a bit afraid that it will try to get up under my roofing shingles or siding. Are they aggressive like that?

3) Lastly, how do I know what type this is? I have no idea when or if it should be pruned.

Any pointers would be appreciated. I don't even know what color this thing is going to be!

Karen

Comment