SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lali_gw

Newbie here... need help planting citrus trees

lali
15 years ago

Hi,

I'm sorry if some of these questions have already been answered, but I'm new to growing citrus trees and would love to get some expert advice before I get started.

I live in Southern Calif (inland empire area) and just bought 3 citrus trees (lemon/dwarf, early navel orange/semi-dwarf, bearss lime/semi-dwarf). We have semi-sandy soil, hot summers and windy winters. We have a retaining wall area that I'm planning on putting the trees, southern exposure and sun year round.

Planting

1. What size hole do I need to dig? Should it be 2x the width and 1.5x the depth of the pot? And should the top of the rootball be right at, above or a little below the surrounding dirt line? Should I put amendment in the soil when planting?

2. How far apart should I pant the trees? I found this discussion http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/citrus/msg0620004430898.html and I really like the idea of planting like trees (for example, early and late oranges) together. But since my trees are different fruit bearing (lime,lemon,orange) how far apart should I plan for them to be?

3. Once planted, how often do I need to water and fertilize? I bought a bag of organic fertilizer (smells like rotten fish), so should I wait a while before fertilizing newly planted trees? When should I start fertilizing the trees?

Thanks!

Lali

Comments (3)