SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yanggers

community garden in college an oxymoron?

yanggers
17 years ago

The setting is a small liberal arts college in Southern Maryland, right in the Historic St. Mary's City. Five years ago, a student built a community garden as his Senior project. In this sunny, unpartitioned, circular plot of appx. 40ft in diameter, people have planted everything from banana (yes banana) to mint (yes mint), Jerusalem artichokes to wild weeds. I have taken over the charge from the previous people who gave up on it, citing not enough interest and participation. I took the charge out of neccesity; I didn't want to see the space go away back into the lawn. It's been half year, I have not done much changes except building a website with wiki abilities and using a powered rotor tiller in the early spring. As of now, half of the plot is being used, planted with vegitables and a few kinds of flowers. The other half is lush with volunteer plants survived from last seasons and a colony of mint. It seems that I am the only person taking care of it (I am staying here over the summer), and others seem to have in their mind that it is my garden, not the community's.

The difficulty as I see it is that, with students living here for only 4 years or so, with them going home every "summer" from May 'till September, there is not much chance for this garden to be part of their lives.

How can I set the focus the garden to fall-winter-spring crop/flowers that would actually mean something for the people, without going too far from the feel of a good old garden? Would remaking the garden to have alloted partitions be helpful in serving the purposof the garden? Are there really any thriving college/university community gardens, and how do they do it?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH