SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dragonstone

Can't my Hibiscus get a break? - Japanese Beetles

dragonstone
16 years ago

Last year, my hibiscus was eaten up twice by a very bad case of sawflies. I've never seen it get so bad. Luckily the hibiscus was able to pull through again but it never really bloomed all that much.

After experimenting with lots of various home recipes, I started using sevin spray which is what stopped the sawflies last late summer. I swore I'd keep up to date this summer.

As soon as the hibiscus grew and I saw the first sawfly, I sprayed them all. I wasn't too vigorous. I usually waited till I saw sawflies before I sprayed. Luckily, I seemed to have stopped the problem because I haven't used sevin spray in a long while.
{{gwi:577611}}

I don't know how to explain why the one on the left is approaching six feet tall. It's really baffling but I'm not complaining.

However, what I am complaining about this time around... Today I was bombarded by japanese beetles just walking by the biggest Hibiscus. There's so many of them that they're flying around and clinging to each other (mating?). Should I be concerned about them going after Hibiscus?

I've never had a japanese beetle problem and it's really surprising to deal with them now for the first time. I don't want to take the sevin spray route (but I will if I have to. I'm not going through the disaster I went through last year) so I was wondering if anyone knew the best way to get rid of them?

Comments (6)