SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loves_lavender

Sweet Autumn Clematis Questions

loves_lavender
15 years ago

Hi, all! I am suffering from serious Spring fever, it's been raining here nearly every day and still cold at night, so I haven't been able to do much yard work yet. I am planning my new additions to my flower beds and have a couple of concerns.

I have two very tall maple trees in the yard that are both surrounded by a ring of Ajuga 'Silver Beauty'. My house faces due West and the front yard beds get nearly full sun from noon on (the maples only provide dappled shade to the flower beds in front of the house.) I would like to plant Sweet Autumn clematis to grow up the trees, but will it do well there? I also wasn't sure if it would climb the trees (with help from me securing it, if needed.) I'm fairly new to clematis, bought my first (Dr. Ruppel) last year and it did/is doing fine, but I understand SAC is a different type.

Bluestone Perennials sells what they label as, "CLEMATIS PANICULATA Sweet Autumn Clematis zone 5-8 Sweetly scented, creamy white 1" blossoms in profusion from late summer on. Vigorous and easy to grow vines, blooms on new wood. Forms silvery seed heads. Will grow to a length of 10-20'. Late to wake in spring. $10.95" Has anyone ordered this from them? I have had good luck with this company before, but am always cautious with any mail-order plants. (I bought my Ajuga from them, I wanted a ground cover but didn't like the usual colors of Ajuga, but I love the Silver Beauty with it's varigated leaves and blue flowers.) Any other mail-order company suggestions are appreciated, too.

Anyway, it looks like today will be sunny and 65 degrees, so I am going plant shopping! :)

Thanks!

Nicole

Comment (1)