SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bismuth

The Leichhardtii Paradox

bismuth
17 years ago

In Australia, there exist two subspecies of Datura leichhardtii: D. leichhardtii ssp. leichhardtii and D. leichhardtii ssp. pruinosa. The species leichhardtii has small flowers which open only occasionally. This species my have originated in Mexico and surrounding areas, though the precise origin is not of the essence. What is important is that Datura leichhardtii is alien to Australia. If two subspecies originated from the same plant, which self-pollinates and hardly exposes its stigma nor its anthers, then how is it possible that ssp. pruinosa and ssp. leichhardtii can be two different plants? If self-pollination produces an identical plant, is the difference between the two merely superficial, a condition brought on by a slight change in soil chemistry and moisture? Is that not the same as saying that one carrot is separated on the subspecies level from another carrot, just because it has been fertilized and given a little more water? I understand that mutations do occur, and Datura leichhardtii needs only open its flowers once to accept new biological information, but I would like to hear some words on this from a knowledged person.

Comments (2)

• gardengrove_ac
    17 years ago

Actually what has happened in the last few hundred years to D. Leichhardtii in OZ is actually a perfect example of adaptive radiation and genetic bottlenecking. Simply put, while the plant started out genetically indentical and self-seeds, over the centuries selective pressures have weeded out some genes from showing up. To explain, The pruinosa sub-species is essentually a dwarf version with more tomentose leaves. Over the time that the weed has been growing, natural forces such as lack of water and the harsh austrailian sun have killed off the seedlings and plants who were the least adapted. That's why the species still remains relatively unchanged in the Northern part, there's little acting on the organisms to select for any traits so "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". The dwarf subspecies, with its furry leaf covering is better able to protect againsn't dessication and UV. As for your analogy about carrots, I agree with you that the line is very very blurry...sometimes even genetic screening can't tell much of a difference between populations. Just look at any oak species from hear to the midwest, a huge precentage of them are at least in some way a hybrid. So what we are witnessing is evolution in action. Also, I just thought I should mention that very recently botanist finally discovered how plants which self pollinate like mustard and datura don't just inbreed themselves into oblivion. Apperently the offspring keep a spare set of genes from the parent plant around somewhere in there own cytoplasm that can "patch" any missing proteins or otherwise fatal mutations that come from contant inbreeding. I personally think that's just another sign of how much more advanced plant life is on this planet comparied to animals and man, and it also shows that the rules for genetics aren't set in stone yet.
    Peace,
    Nate

• bismuth
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Informative! Do you have any sources for that bit about self-pollinating plants keeping a spare set of genes around? I would be very much interested in looking into that. Also, do you know if those same plants produce new genetic sets every time a bit of the backup set is used, or is the spare genetic sequence reproduced in an identical fashion?

Getting off topic for a moment, gardengrove_ac, I recall that you were generous enough to offer some Datura stramonium seed to me, but I have not heard back from you, regarding that matter, nor have I received any seeds. That's just fine, seeing as I haven't sent anything out either, but I would like to know if you are still interested in a trade.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County