SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
countrykitty_gw

ID agave with hair? And friend...

countrykitty
16 years ago

Sorry, I'm a college student/Mom of 2 teens--no room in the budget for a digital camera for a while longer yet, so no pictures...but I paint a fair to middlin' word picture, so here goes.

While at an evil box store to look for poles for some ivies to climb, I saw a bunch of small and poorly cared for C&S on display. Several were dead, others headed that way. "Not for $2-5" was my very first thought...then I spied a couple of little green waifs giving me the puppy-dog eyes, LOL. When I took them up front and asked if I could purchase them at a discount since they were in such rough shape (the little agave has 6 dead leaves, 4 green ones, and 2 in between) I was told I could buy them for 50 cents apiece! No ID tags of course.

The (I think) agave has leaves that are 4" long by just over a cm wide with a straw-tan colored cm-long spike at the tip, and have a nice deep green color where they're still green. All along either edge, the leaves also have fibers peeling away like coarse white to tan hairs.

The 'friend' is some kind of succulent...tried to google every combination of words I could come up with to describe "succulent flower-lookin' thing"--too many hits with too little results, sigh. A stem with a very rough texture from wall-to-wall leaf scars rises from the soil, branches several (6) times. at the end of each branch is a 'flowerhead' of petals that are the same shape in general as those of my hens-n-chicks. The leaf edges have a row of tiny (1/2 mm) but soft 'spines'; nice burgundy blush to the leaves. This one is all of 3 1/2" high, with the largest flowerhead being about 2".

All suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Kitty

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting