SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jockewing

Old Clivias never do anything!

jockewing
10 years ago

I live in S. Louisiana just north of New Orleans, zone 9a. Occasionally we get temps down into the mid 20s, and on those nights, I usually bring my 2 clivias inside. Every other day of the year they are outside either under the shade of the covered back porch or on the front step under the shade of a crape myrtle.

I can't even really remember when I bought these clivias, but it has to be at least 5-7, maybe even 10 years ago. They have always had leaves and looked healthy, but rarely do they bloom. The one in the larger ceramic pot has multiple stalks but I don't remember if it ever bloomed, except for a couple of really pitiful stalks that really didn't even grow tall enough to reach past the leaves. The one in the smaller pot usually puts up at least one halfway decent stalk each year, but nothing like the beauties I see in the pictures. I thought after all these years they would be so pot bound they should bloom reliably.

I notice the larger one is starting to look bad like it might have some rot. Can you please tell me what I should do with these? They were probably potted in straight potting soil, but I now usually pot in a loose mix with a lot of bark fines and perlite. I just totally rejuvenated some African violets that were in too heavy soil and they have rebounded wonderfully. Wonder if that's what I should do with the clivias? Below are pictures. Should I repot? And in what medium? What should I follow as a watering/fertilizing schedule, and how can I get those magnificent blooms?

Like I said, I've been hanging on to these things for a long time, and I'd like to get some dividends for my patience. One year I forgot to bring them in when we had a freeze and a lot of the leaves got burned, but it recovered from that.

The bigger, less successful plant:

{{gwi:571777}}

The smaller one that at least blooms, although nothing to write home about:

{{gwi:571779}}

Comments (8)

Sponsored