SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aisgecko

anyone in the raleigh area

aisgecko
16 years ago

Does anyone in this area want to get together to check out each other's gardens? I'd LOVE to see John's and Brenda's, and Shannon's and many others'. If anyone is interested let me know. Mine is weed infested and the kiddie toys are distracting, but I am trying to get over that...So mine is open for veiwing anytime (e-mail me) but what I was thinking of was a garden tour where we went from one place to the next. Anyone interested? I am willing to provide burgers and dogs at my place. Just don't judge me by the slovenly inside of the house. I'm thinking the 16th of June or 23, 30th. Any takers? -Ais.

Comments (104)

• zigzag
    16 years ago

Well, I was just kinda thinking about this more on a real informal basis. Like unmasking ourselves and finding out who's really nearby. And then, identities disclosed who want to be disclosed, maybe ..... well, just informal get-togethers.

Much as I'd love to show off my yards, my 'hood presents parking problems for more than an extra car or three and I do have this magificent, tiny beagle pup who never misses a chance to lunge out a door/gate, so I have to be careful!

Looking at the map, even tho I realize that "North Raleigh" is a huge catchphrase, I am surprised at how few are in my immediate area given the frequent 'north raleigh' mentions. Btw, I'm off Falls of Neuse, Dunn Rd, midway between I-540 and the dam and will email Dawn later today to get put on the map.

I haven't been to any swaps yet - suspect lots of folks get acquainted at them so I need to get moving and attend the next one in the fall!

• keithrnjd
    16 years ago

My Garner Garden is not available on the 23rd...I will be in Greensboro for a soccer tournament. ;-(

If the date changes, let me know, 'cuz everyone is welcome if I'm at home!

Sally

• Related Discussions

Sowing Tender annuals

Q

Comments (4)
    because of my financial situation, i'm going all-seeds this year! i few weeks ago, i sprinkled snapdragon and poppy seeds in my galvanized tins out front. i can already see the poppies springing to life. i also set out cherry tomato and yellow squash seeds a couple of days ago. i have tons of seeds and i'll definitely be lavishly sprinkling them all over the place.
    ...See More

Chinese Pistachio

Q

Comments (5)
    I did the same research and ended up choosing a Chinese Pistachio too. They are hard to find in the trade because they start out as unattractive trees (basically sticks) so garden shops have a hard time moving them. I have a friend who brokers plants and has a tree farm and I got my 4 ft tree from him last fall. Let me see if he still has one that he could sell you. It may take me a week or so to talk to him I have to go to Raleigh to the garden shop he works at to talk to him. Have you googled the tree name in the N & O? There is a good article about them in that paper which praises the plant which is funny since no one carries it....here it is. http://www.newsobserver.com/105/story/1259500.html
    ...See More

Raleigh, NC area

Q

Comments (15)
    I live in the area also. I recommend checking out the city-data Raleigh/Durham forum there are lots of wonderful people there with good advice and tons of moving questions. I would suggest if you can to rent for a while in the area so you can travel around and see what you like and what your budget will do for you in each town. Clayton for example is very different from Chapel Hill as others have mentioned. I have lived in CH, Durham and Raleigh and there are perks to all 3. I currently live in a small suburb and love the quieter schools and feel. Good luck! This is a beautiful place to live. Today is gorgeous! Here is a link that might be useful: Raleigh/Durham city data
    ...See More

kitchen designer/kitchen remodeling in Raleigh/Durham, NC area?

Q

Comments (1)
    No KD to recommend, but I do highly recommend UltraCraft cabinets made very close to there in Liberty NC. http://www.ultracraft.com/
    ...See More
  • aisgecko
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, I thought I had replied but I must've never accepted the message. Lets try this again. I don't care about going first but it happens that the daylilies are blooming now so that's kind of nice. Laura is the only one near me unless we went up to wake forest. I'm fine with waiting and doing my garden later if nobody near me is ready. I am as eager (maybe more so) to check out everyone elses as to show mine off. I never expected so much response. I think it wouldn't be a bad idea for people who want to do this to pick people near them to contact privately and just set it up then invite people rather than try to get consensus from everyone on this thread. But it may be too late for that on this first one. Does anyone else prefer the 23rd date? If not I'll gladly take it and if someone else wants to add on I'm sure we can work it out. It's only 30 minutes to either Garner or Wake Forest, which really isn't that bad. -Ais.

• dirtrx
    16 years ago

I can't do the 23rd. Although, I would appreciate pictures hint, hint. I've got kid-related activities all day. But Ais is right. It may be tricky finding a date which is good for everyone.

I'm also up for meeting at Neo Mondes and touring the Arboretum sometime but that needs to be a separate thread.

The map is a stroke of genius. It is surprising how many people can live in N. Raleigh and not cross paths. I bet we actually run into each other at nurseries and just don't realise it. Shannon

• laurabs
    16 years ago

"It is surprising how many people can live in N. Raleigh and not cross paths. I bet we actually run into each other at nurseries and just don't realise it."

True! I mean, when I'm at a garden center, my eyes are on the plants. I'm aware of people around me and even make comments about the plants or lizards among the plants sometimes, but they are usually in their own little world too.

• jyhsmom
    16 years ago

Well I consolidated people who responded & I have the following suggestions for the June 23 visit:

North Tour
    Aisgecko, Laurabs, ZigZag. It would have made sense to add Dirtx to that grouping, but she is unavailable that weekend. Pros: Ais's daylilies are in bloom now and it was her idea.

South Tour
    TriangleJohn, Tamelask, Jyhsmom, Lynnencfan. Keithrnjd is close by, but again out of town on the 23rd. Pros: Get to see John's gardens; Lakeview Daylily Farm on Hwy 50 has their daylily sales every weekend in June & July and, if you seldom come south and are "in" to daylilies, its a good time to visit.

West Tour
    Hollyclyff, Violet312s, Dogridge and Catc. Pros: Everyone in that area looks like they are available that weekend so we wouldn't miss anyone's garden; we could also stop & visit Rosecroft Gardens

Several of who I termed the "Far North" group; Jnhidden, Nancedar, Brenda_Near_eno & Karen_w indicated they would prefer a fall tour of their yards.

Thoughts & comments?

• trianglejohn
    16 years ago

A comment about cyber maps - just to avoid confusion, understand that when you zero in on my house the posted map shows a connecting street that doesn't exist. Its not that important but it may confuse folks once they get into the neighborhood. Miriam may be called an "Avenue" but in reality it is a narrow and short street. My house is on the right, just look for flowers (you can tell a gardener lives there). Any street on the map without a name doesn't exist.

• laurabs
    16 years ago

I'm in for the North tour. I normally work at home on Saturday, so it would help if we could set a definite plan.

Can I post my regular e-mail address for Aisgecko and ZigZag?

• lazygardner-nc
    16 years ago

Hey Zigzag, looks like we are neighbors. I live in what is left of the old village down by Falls dam. My yard is in too much of a mess for a tour, though.

• violet312s
    16 years ago

I'm game for the June 23rd date. If I have JB's on my roses so be it.

However, can we set tour times? Don't want to be pinned down all day. Got Saturday errands to run!

How about gardens open for viewing anytime from 1pm to 5pm? What are the other hosts' thoughts about this? The other challenge is that even though I'd be a host, I would also like to see the gardens of other participants. Not sure how to manage that.

Oh and the bonus for the "West" tour is that we're also fairly close to Witherspoon roses (just north of 15-501 and I-40). They have an amazing rose garden (at least an acre full of rose gardens) that are in full bloom. I keep dragging my SO there every weekend to see new roses in bloom. Fortunately he's tolerating it well.

Suzanne

• jyhsmom
    16 years ago

I guess I was kind of thinking about something along the lines of the "traveling parties" that people sometimes have...everyone who wants to participate shows up at house #1 at a certain time (9:00?); plan on a 30 to 45 minute visit; everyone travels to the next house, etc. Perhaps even ending around lunchtime with a potluck or BBQ at the last house on the tour. That way everyone gets to see all the gardens & doesn't miss out. Since we all know who lives in our area now, we could car-pool from the more distant regions & reduce the number of cars "invading" the neighborhood.

If you guys like this idea, when we do the south tour, we can end at my house. I'm sure I can talk my hubby into grilling some hot dogs & hamburgers!

Just a thought.

• jyhsmom
    16 years ago

BTW - I guess I would probably vote for the West tour for the 23rd, since they are the only group that doesn't have someone out of town.

• zigzag
    16 years ago

waving to lazygardener! .... hi ya, neighbor! Your area, right around the dam, has always intrigued me (but rubbernecking on that stretch of Falls of Neuse is a sure invite to disaster!)
    It's the old homesteads such as you describe that are the most interesting, so don't be shy - post on the map. We've got a tentative 'seek n' peek' day on for later this month - join in! You can just 'peek' if you want!

• Jean Hidden
    16 years ago

I am fine with a June tour (going to other gardens or being on a tour (June 23 is ok)). Feel free to add me if you wish, unless I am too far north.
    Blooming now: rose campion, wood sorrel, gardenia, pink and purple lavender, coneflowers (sunset, sunrise, etc), Lamb's Ear, daisys, a few roses, and some DLs.
    Thanks!
    Jean (jnhidden)

• zigzag
    16 years ago

Note to all - on a more informal basis, not sure who among us is 'retired' (in whatever definition), but weekends tend to be chock full of stuff, so let's not forget about the other five days!

My yard is available during the week - and quieter since the neighbor nine-to-fiver worker bees aren't mowing, blowing, trimming. Just a thought ......

• violet312s
    16 years ago

What'll also make the "West" tour rather easy is I think we're all off of Hwy 751. Must be something about that road!

I like the idea of groups touring all at once. That way we all can get to meet each other.

And weekends-only for me. Retirement is still many years and a dream away for me.

• Hollyclyff
    16 years ago

My garden might be in pretty rough shape for a June 23 tour. We're still not finished with the chicken coop, so I haven't had time to do anything in the garden. It's full of weeds and JBs and plants that need pruning, deadheading, etc. But - the daylilies are blooming and I have some seedlings that could be dug and given away if they had admirers.
    Dana

• aisgecko
    Original Author
    16 years ago

North, south, west seems to be the options as well laid out by jnhidden. I say we vote on the tour for the 23rd. voting ends on Monday at midnight. most votes wins. I started this thread so I get to say so! :-) Of course there's nothing to stop other people from doing their own garden tour. I applaud it. But since this thread has gotten so big we just have to get control. Don't vote for me because I started the thread. I'll get my day. The important thing is to share and view. Besides, mine is a mess. Hee hee. But seriously we need to decide so people can get them in order. I will tally votes tuesday morning and WE will lay out a gameplan. I think certain times at certain locations will allow people to both open their own gardens and view other's. After this it's up to other people to plan stuff. I can't handle it !!!!! -Ais.

• dogridge
    16 years ago

I vote for something like hollyclyff 9-10, dogridge 10-11, etc. If possible folks could car pool. that way if there is a garden you don't want to see you don't have to go on the whole tour. We could end with lunch at one of the gardens. my garden is not great at the moment, some weeds and it is just so young that there isn't a whole lot to see, but you do get a good idea of the bones which have been laid out. It seems the west tour is most logical for the first date, so I'm in.
    Krystol

• tamelask
    16 years ago

i'm ok with being open, or going to visit on the 23rd. as i said before, the only time that would be hardship for me is mid to late summer- late july- mid sept. since i'm not particular i'll let others choose. i don't think starting before 9 will work, but 9's ok. that way the tours are mostly done by the time it gets really hot. we ought to plan a shady one or 2 for last so it's not miserable. i'm up for carpooling. makes sense.

i do think we'll need more than an hour for each garden. having visited other gardens it takes longer to really see it- not just gloss through- even if it's small. i'd highly recommend alloting an hour & 1/2 to 2 for each and transporting between. it may not seem like you need that much, but you do. otherwise we'll all end up feeling rushed and stressed.

• jyhsmom
    16 years ago

Well I'm up for visiting or being visited. If the votes are for the South Tour, I'll be glad to be the food stop (since I've already warned you guys I want you to visit so I can pick your brains, not have you admire my garden) :-) The only thing I would ask is that if I'm the food stop we have a somewhat firm count of attendees so I won't buy too much or too little. I also assume hubbies, wives & kids are welcome if they want to come?

• laurabs
    16 years ago

We could regroup by starting separate threads called North Tour, South Tour, West Tour.

Cause this thread is huge.

• lynnencfan
    16 years ago

For the South Tour our place would be be available any weekend from now till late fall but NOT June 23rd. My husband and I get one weekend a year away from home and that is the date for this year. As for our garden being at it's peak what is that old saying "Ya should have been here yesterday" lol. There will be something blooming pretty much at any given time but not neccessarily the peak and there will ALWAYS be plenty of weeds to see. I am more interested in constructive criticism, ideas and advice anyway.

• trianglejohn
    16 years ago

Sorry to hijack this thread and to bring down such a enthusiastic thread but my weekends for the rest of the month are kinda up in the air. Most of you have read over in the conversations subforum about the multi-year ongoing saga of my father and his health crisis... well he is near death, so at any moment I will have to rush back to Oklahoma to comfort my mother and help out with the house and stuff. In an odd twist he will most likely pass away within a week of his older brother (Fathers Day 10 years ago). In an even odder twist should he pass away in the next couple of days the normal thing to do would be to have his funeral this next weekend - except that that is his and my mothers 51st wedding anniversary AND my neice's (their granddaughter's) wedding - the first grandchild to get married. So no matter what happens I know I will be here next weekend (the 16th) but the 23rd and 30th look iffy. Most likely I will only fly home for the funeral and then do a big driving trip back to dig up plants and haul home artifacts of the old Buettner homestead out on the prairie. All kinds of sad but not a surprise either. Of course there have been many days spent on the phone talking to the family so I have thrown myself into weeding and working in the garden (great therapy!) so my yard looks its best right now! but I'm a mess.

• violet312s
    16 years ago

Here's my suggestion. We seem to be pretty much segregated into "regions". I think it would be impossible to see more than 3-5 gardens in any one day, especially since we all have our own things to do over the weekend and I agree that even for small gardens we should allot about 45min at a minimum.

I also think it will be hard to do these more than once every 3-4 weeks. So if we're thinking one "region" on June 23, the next would be in mid to late July, the next in mid August, etc.

Once we figure out what "region" is next we can then post a new thread with details and a link to the page showing addresses, who is first for that day, etc.

And please no start times before 9am. That's just mean! So for 3-5 gardens plus travel time inbetween we'll probably end up finishing around lunchtime and then (for those interested) we can pick a lunch spot near the last stop. Have the last stop pick a restaurant to meet at when we're all done.

Just my thoughts.

Suzanne

• aisgecko
    Original Author
    16 years ago

John, love. been there. -Ais

• Hollyclyff
    16 years ago

John, I'm sorry about your dad.

I vote for the North tour on the 23rd. It would really be hard for me to get ready by then for a South tour as busy as we are the next couple of weeks. I thought we could finish the coop this past weekend, but we didn't which means we'll be working on it again this coming weekend. I'd really rather people come when I've at least had time to clean up a little. My yard (and house) is truly a mess right now. And the one advantage to having people come here this month is gone now. The deer found my daylilies Saturday night and ate most of the buds.
    Dana

• Hollyclyff
    16 years ago

I meant it would be hard for me to get ready for a West tour, not a South tour. Duh!
    Dana

• aisgecko
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Haha Dana, I thought I was just confused. :-)

• Jean Hidden
    16 years ago

John, I am sorry to hear about your dad. I am glad you can get some comfort from gardening.

• agrowingpassion
    16 years ago

DOES EVERYONE REALIZE HOW LARGE THE INTEREST IN THIS TOUR IS?????

How will it be possible to limit it to only an hour for each yard (garden)??? Can everyone possible be at each location at one time? There are probably many people reading this thread that aren't joining in on the reply but plan to come (like myself). I've stayed out of the discussion so far because there seems to be enough confussion as to how to handle this.

Don't misunderstand, I'm really excited about visiting/hosting gardens but hate to see a time limit of only an hour with so many people involved. I'm fairly flexiable myself but many people have children's activities to get "out the door" on a weekend before being able to participate in this. I just hate to see members missing such a great opportunity.

Thanks to all that have helped in planning this. I'm sure a lot will be learned from the first tour regardless of how it is handled. I learned long ago, not to critize others ideas unless you are willing to do the whole thing yourself. Willing to help any way I can.

• alicia7b
    16 years ago

John I'm sorry to hear about your dad. It is so scary what people can catch in hospital these days.

Would you be open to having visitors this weekend then?

• Jean Hidden
    16 years ago

Should we try to start a count of people who can tour on the 23rd?(I can) and decide on 'which' tour for the 23rd? Did everyone who wanted to vote yet? I would love to see anyone's garden and am open to people coming to mine if you want to add me to the north tour. I understand also if I am too far north :-)
    Thanks for the great idea, Ais!

• laurabs
    16 years ago

I'd be happy for people to see my yard on the 23rd on a North tour, but it won't take 15 minutes, I'm sure, since the back yard is a fenced-in moonscape. (Run-amok violets and perhaps a bit of slime mold is about all there is to see inside the privacy fence). :o)

My yard is all about color and variety though.

• shari1332
    16 years ago

I'm not sure how many tours that I could make it to since I need all the time I can get working in my own yard. I definitely can't do the 23rd but I'd also like to say that I think it would be better to allow more than an hour for each tour and to spread them out. It's unrealistic to think we can all go to all of them. Just go to the ones you can but give the person inviting you to their garden the amount of time and attention that they wish for and deserve.

• alicia7b
    16 years ago

I agree with Shari and agrowingpassion about the time allotted for each garden. Some of them may not take very long, but I imagine many will take more than an hour, especially if travel time is included.

• tamelask
    16 years ago

it's not really my place to say, but since it bears on the figuring i'll tell you all that john's dad passed away yest aft. the funeral looks to be the weekend of the 23rd. that coupled with lynne and sally being unavailable for that weekend pretty well wipes the south end off for that weekend.

i think the idea of splitting the thread is good after we figure out which will be first. if head counting, i'm in for visiting on the 23rd.

there is a tremendous amount of interest in this, and i can see where maybe it becomes a once every 2 mos thing or something til we hit most everyone who wants to be toured. that may take a year or more, but that's ok. i'd even be ok with being toured or touring in the winter- seeing bones is interesting. and i'd adore seeing gardens in the spring. i'm a lot less interested in touring in the hottest & driest part of the summer. we have so much wonderful weather, why torture ourselves with the worst. it's a neat way for us to get to see each other more frequently than the swaps.

i strongly agree that 45min to an hour won't be enough for most gardens. maybe some will be less, but we could potentially iron that out in the individual tour threads- ie: if someone knows their garden is a quick stop, just say so on that thread and then we can plan accordingly. ditto on a potentially long stop. i really think the most stops for one day should be 4. if it looks to go longer than lunch time, maybe the third stop should be the food stop. we may even find that 3 is the max practically speaking. i think it's neater to spread it out for a longer time anyhow- we give each person his/her due that way and extend a great idea for more trips! a couple people mentioned tacking on nursery visits- so don't forget that needs to be factored in too.

• dianne1957
    16 years ago

To John: I offer sincere Sympathy on the loss of your Dad. I am sure this entire Garden Web Posting feels the same. Our hearts are with you. Below please find a posting that gives comfort and thought.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gone From My Sight

• trianglejohn
    16 years ago

Thanks to all for all the thoughts, prayers and kind words. For now the family and I are holding up pretty well. I imagine the hardest part will be going home and facing my mother and all the relatives. For some reason our family can find humor in some of the oddest things. My sister was talking to me about losing it and having an all out wailing fit. I told her about one of my trips back home recently to take care of dad and mom and that the emotions were so strong that I had to wander off into the woods behind the house to ball my eyes out while the dog did her business. After about 5 minutes of major fit throwing and mid-wail I turned a corner in the path down to the creek and found the next door neighbors along with their extended family having a picnic. About a dozen or so people of various ages. They all just sat there and stared up at me, not knowing what to do or say. I must have been a sight! Anyway, even I was laughing by the time I got back to the house.

I am toying with the idea of opening up my garden for tours this Saturday. Kinda as a "test" tour. We will know better how much time is necessary to tour a yard and how easy it is or isn't for people to find these addresses. Part of my problem is that I sell plants on Saturdays at the Wake Forest Farmers Market and even though I plan on cutting back to every other Saturday status - I will miss out on many of the organized tours. Anyway; my address is on the map. I will be home and in the garden after 2:30pm. I will be heading to the park to walk the dog around 6:00pm. If you want to see what therapeutic weeding looks like - come by.

• karen__w z7 NC
    16 years ago

I think seeing the same garden at different times of year is also very educational, and I hope that this first 'tour' goes smoothly enough that the owners will be up for a second round at some point down the road. Then I won't feel so bad about missing it.

John, so sorry to hear about your father. Wish I was going to be here this weekend, I would come watch you weed.

• aisgecko
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry I haven't made a plan yet. I'm a bit overwhelmed with the options... It sounds like people are split between a North and West tour for the 23rd. Since I'm on the North I'm inclining that way . So I know Laurabs said she might be up for it. I tried to wade through the responses but I can't keep it all straight. Did anyone else in the north Raleigh area want to do it on the 23rd? Was it zigzag? I think 3 stops would be ok with 2 hours at each the last stop we can eat something. I'm willing to be last and most of my property is shaded. I can make a new post with times and directions. -Ais.

• DYH
    16 years ago

John -- sending good thoughts your way.

To all the gardeners --
    I've not been over here in a bit (just got back from vacation) and have been trying to sort through this long thread!

I'm just 4 minutes south of UNC-Chapel Hill, but it sounds like most gardens are concentrated in other areas. My fenced garden is just a toddler of 2 years and the outer garden is a newborn having just gotten started last fall. I'll share it through occasional photos for now, but hopefully I'll know when it peaks by this time next year.

I don't think I can get to Raleigh on the 23rd for the tour. :-( I will see if I can juggle things.

Cameron

• zigzag
    16 years ago

First, my heartfelt condolences to John - no matter how expected a loss may be, it's still a numbing shock. May your trip home for the final tributes and the inevitible chore of setting affairs in order be as safe, pleasant and painless as possible.

This touring thing is such a great idea and the first date will set the pace for fine tuning as the year progresses.

Now, on the 23rd of June I will welcome all GWC gawkers from morn to early afternoon! Early birds welcome - I'll make sure I've got both eyes open by 8 am and keep the coffee & lemonade stand manned until 1 pm or so.

Parking: My driveway takes two cars, but then the side gardens disappear, so on-street w/out blocking drives or mailboxes (that seems to work for the garage salers) can work for this! I'm still working on my 'puppy wrangling' plan (that'll be the biggest challenge!) - will have it figured out by then.

Please email me at ydd_2003@yahoo.com for any questions/better directions etc. I'm looking forward to attaching some faces to names here and picking a few garden geek brains!

• dianne1957
    16 years ago

John,
    Sorry the first link did not go through. This is for you in "Memory of Your Dad." Your "saga" as you put it; told of a strong man; on the roof! Not afraid to tackle a job!
    Dianne

Here is a link that might be useful: Gone From My Sight

• dianne1957
    16 years ago

We are good for the 23rd. Not available the weekend of June 30th or the weekend of July 7th The garden does not peak till mid July....but so be it! It is... what it is!. Weeds and all! Always a work in progress! My yard should not take more than 15-20 minutes. We have driveway parking for 4 cars...... and off street for 4 cars plus. Let me know the plan. I can offer refreshments; water, soda, snacks. Should this be an "Open House" or an"Appointed Time" tour?.....Dianne

• laurabs
    16 years ago

Well, what about coming to mine at 10:00 or later? I'm supposed to work (from home), but it would be nice to be able to show people around my yard and then follow somebody to the next place or two if there was time. Is that workable? There is some shade in my garden.

I put in a Acuba japonica in the side yard. Also a bit of dwarf mondo grass. It's always something. I would love to hear what people think about the crazy way I do impatiens and coleus. Color makes me happy.

• Jean Hidden
    16 years ago

I would like to see your black mulch, laurabs, and your colors! I have a tall japonica so I would also be interested in seeing your Acuba japonica and seeing how it compares.
    Jean

• TerriBuck
    16 years ago

Looks like I picked a great time to check in on this forum (been absent for two growing seasons). I'm just south of Chapel Hill, but would love to see the north Raleigh gardens. Anyone around this area want to carpool?

• aisgecko
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I've been camping all weekend and am exhausted tonight, but I'll try to get together a plan by midweek so people can make plans. Sounds like there's 4 of us for the tour. I'll start a new thread for this specific tour to make it simpler. -Ais.

• alicia7b
    16 years ago

Terribuck it's good to see you posting again!