SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrsig

Banana Tree - Musa Dwarf Cavendish

mrsig
17 years ago

I recently got one of these to help provide shade for an endless summer hydrangea (you may remember the thread I started on the topic).

I figured that I'd likely have to keep this tree in a pot and place it somewhere safe during the winter, but I'm reading some information now that states it might be safe just to put it in the ground, and heavily mulch to overwinter.

Everything I've read states that if I leave it in the pot, that a smaller pot is better than bigger. Smaller being 6-8" in diameter, which is what it came in from the store. I was thinking I'd at least half-bury the pot to help with moisture retention, and to discourage tip-over during wind storms. Tip over is likely though, since this fella could get 7-10' tall after a few seasons.

Does anyone here have experience with this particular variety, or banana plants in general?

Comments (16)

• trianglejohn
    17 years ago

Not that variety, but with other banana plants. They do better in the ground than left in a pot. They like it to rain every afternoon just like it does in the tropics but they hate to sit in water. So soil with lots of organic matter or mulch mixed in and mounded up works the best. They like it rich and fiber-y. They like as much sun as possible but will handle some shade, they just may not fill in as much.

When they are old enough to make 'pups' (side shoots) they are old enough to bloom - but successfully growing bananas outside of the tropics is rarely worth the effort (have you priced bananas at the store? they are cheap).

Only a few of them are truly hardy in the Raleigh area (zone 7b). The most reliable is Musa bajoo or Japanese Fiber Banana. It doesn't even need the mulch to survive our winters. Most of the others need some form of protection. They will go dormant if you let them dry out and store them in a cool dark place. Much easier than building them a heated greenhouse.

• dragonplant
    17 years ago

If your banana says it makes it through winter in your zone, mulch a lot and you should make it. As for the confined pot thing, I don't know about this banana, but I've never had a plant that was happy in a too small pot, and my 2 hardy bananas were definitely not happy.

• mrsig
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the posts, guys...

I'm leaning towards putting this in the ground now. It's in a sloped spot so drainage should not be a problem. I'm just worried about the wind constantly tipping it over if it's still in the pot.

I guess the smaller pot it suggested was to help with drainage?

• gurley157fs
    17 years ago

I live in the S.C. midlands and I have a pink velutina, blood banana, and musa basjoo. Sorry if I butchered those spellings and names.

The pink actually made bananas last year and has come back fabulously this year. The musa basjoo is the only one in full (afternoon) sun and it is struggling - I may move it.

All mine are in the ground and I put over a foot of mulch after the first good freeze. I think the bananas are my favorite plants in the entire garden.

• mrsig
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Your musa is struggling in full sun, gurley?

That's where mine is and so far seems to be doing fine. I have it watered every other day by timer though. Once summer really hits, I'll probably move that schedule to daily.

• gurley157fs
    17 years ago

Well, it looks healthy so I think I am just being impatient.

My others are 5 feet tall by now and this one is just poking its second leaf out.

Of course the large ones are in a VERY heavily amended bed,

I lurk quite a bit on this forum and see so many others with basjoo in full sun that I think I will wait it out for a while and see what happens.

Today I gave it some fish poo and we had a good rain (seems to help so much more than city water) so maybe the little fella with take off.

• razorback33
    17 years ago

Wouldn't recommend growing them in pots. I had 2 in large decorative pots in the center of my backyard, where they were in filtered sun all day. One day, while we were away from home, the pots sprouted legs(or developed wheels) and departed for an unknown destination. A cruise around the neighborhood didn't turn up any sign of them, so they must have been in an awful rush to get out of town.
    Rb

• mrsig
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Razorback - Maybe their Visa's had expired and they were deported?

Gurley - Keep us updated how yours are doing? I'm considering picking up one of the ones that Home Depot advertised for $4.97. Much smaller than mine now, but I'd just see how it does.

• mrsig
    Original Author
    17 years ago

So far, my banana tree is averaging a new leaf for each week I've had it. At that rate, it'll have 15+ new leaves by the end of summer. That seems like a lot though...should I expect a slowdown in its growth ate at some point?

• cree1958
    16 years ago

I need to know if I have to dig up my banana trees for the winter in Illinois. I have some in pots as well. Can someone please help me. I'm just a little confused on what to do. I used to dig them up and put them in the basement, but I read that if it is too warm they could die.

• hotroses
    16 years ago

Just a comment about bananas - When the tops die down and you cut off the tops for the winter, be sure not to let the clear watery juice get on you or your cloths. It stains skin, cloths, shoes, everything, brown. That stalk is full of juice and can be really heavy depending on how tall it grew over the summer.

• JohnNC7B
    16 years ago

You might also try the banana forum at the link below. There are numerous members in our area who can provide further info and help. I currently have a couple of banana trees in pots in the backyard adjacent to a canal, fortunately they haven't "grown legs" yet. They do take a lot of water, minimum of a gallon a day, and they are only about 5 feet tall so far. I plan to bring them into the house when the temps start heading for freezing!
    John

Here is a link that might be useful: Bananas.org

• Nachman3_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

Live in Miami and have banana tree15 ft high. I periodically get bananas on tree, but they are size of a finger and never get bigger. I fertilized 1 month ago and water every day. Why don't fruit get bigger.

• bortells_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

I'm interested of getting a banana-if its not too late.. If you have anymore, please let me know. Me and my husband will help dig if you need anymore help. thanks.

• arthurb3
    13 years ago

I have had a Musa Basjoo to bloom and fruit here in Raleigh, NC but I wrapped it in C9 christmas lights to prevent the stem from freezing.

The JC Raulston Arboretum at NCSU has a large clump of Musa Velutina that blooms every Summer and produces tons of seedlings.

Here is a link that might be useful: JC Raulston Arboretum at NCSU

• sueswatercolor
    11 years ago

I have two masa banana trees in full sun in the afternoon, it's killing them.. I have them in moisture soil and they are on timed watering every day....

I agree with the guy a few posts back who wants to move his.. I'm thinking I should move mine before they go.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County