SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hoosierquilt

Looking for Xylella-Resistant Table Grape Varieties

Hoping folks can give me some recommendations on some table grape varieties that are either naturally resistant to Pierce's Disease, or have been bred to be resistant to Pierce's Disease (Xylella fastidiosa). Due to my proximity to an 80 acre abandoned orange orchard, most of my oleanders are exhibiting signs of Oleander Leaf Scorch. Plus, I appear to have 3 or 4 grape vines that are having great difficulties growing (when I first moved into our home last September, I didn't even realize they were there, they are stuggling so badly). They struggle in the summer to produce maybe 4 or 5 leaves, that end up turning brown and crispy, so I'm assuming I probably also have Pierce's Disease as well, sigh... I am in Vista, which is in N. San Diego County, about 7 miles from the ocean, and the grapes would be planted on a hillside, possibly up against my wrought iron fencing, getting just about full sun all day, and a southern exposure, so nice and warm. I know that some of the native California grapes as well as muscadines tend to be more resistant, but I sure love good tasting table grapes. And possibilities of finding something that is being bred to be resistant to X. fastidiosa? And, where I might purchase these? That would be just fabulous!!

Patty S.

Comments (18)