SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chemgardner

First Garden Attempt

12 years ago

After a recent move to our first non-condo (in SW FL), I decided to do some gardening and landscaping. Despite the 90+ degree temps and humidity, I have been enjoying myself thoroughly.

The previous owner had planted some random (but nice) things in random spots, but most of the planting areas were fairly vacant and covered in pine needle mulch. After getting a bit overwhelmed with the large areas of possibility, I decided to focus on a much smaller spot near our front porch since it is the highest traffic area in and out of our home.

I had already bought a few random likes that I read about and liked, sedums, sticks on fire, and some random succulents I was able to find in SW FL (the selection around here is not exactly huge).

So here it is:

Step One: Rolling the huge and heavy coral rocks that were scattered around the property into the garden and building up the berm. I tilled the existing sandy soil with pine needles and added a 50/50 mix of Black Cow Soil and Perlite...

{{gwi:587488}}

Step Two:

After purchasing gravel for the top dressing (the gravel matches existing gravel on the property), I laid down a one inch thick top dressing:

{{gwi:587490}}

Step Three: Roughly arranging the plants into their final placing and seeking out my better half's opinion on the placement. During this time we had a huge storm with torrential rains, which was likely good for settling all the soil mixtures:

{{gwi:587491}}

End Result:

{{gwi:587492}}

{{gwi:587493}}

{{gwi:587495}}

{{gwi:587497}}

After 'finishing' the initial phase of the garden, I continued researching and decided that my soil may not be quite light enough for some succulents, so I pulled them out to dry and will be replanting them in the very near future. This is why in these pictures below they are no longer there. I also decided that the top of the berm needed a focal point, so I transplanted an offshoot of an variegated dwarf agave I had planted somewhere else.

{{gwi:587499}}

I decided to expand it already, so I moved the jade tree to its new home and added two Sticks on Fire. This will be filled in over the next couple of weeks, as time, weather and money allows:

{{gwi:587501}}

Comments (9)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals