SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pkapeckopickldpepprz

Lowering pH for mature citrus in ground

My trees are in native soil (Florida sand) but I have been ammending compost for the last 2 or so years but compost is for the most part pH neutral so the soil is still around a 7 and I'd like to get it to 5.8-6.5. I just made some adjustments last night for the first time. I added 5 parts garden sulphur 1 part ammoniumn sulphate and 1 part iron sulphate in 4 holes buried around the mulched area dripline. I tilled it into the soil and also added approx 3 cups of spaghnum peat moss into each hole for further tilth and aeration. I also sprayed vinegar in a dial a spray set to the highest concentration (21 tps / gallon) over the root area hoping it will also balance out the spots between the sulphate mix I buried.

I was also wondering if I can just bury spent citrus rinds under the mulch to acidify the soil instead of adding it to my compost pile. I'd prefer to help get the pH balanced that make most compost which would still turn out close to pH 7.0 compost.

I did read that mineral acids work better than organic acids like vinegar. Is it safe to use a spray like I did with vinegar, but substituting something like muriatic acid or hydrochloric/ sulfuric acid? That sounds pretty scary to me, not to mention what I can imnagine happening to the roots.

Comments (6)