SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
distancer500

Moving from So Cal to NYC

distancer500
15 years ago

I am planning to move from Palm Springs, CA to New York City in the fall. My questions are numerous on how to do this with a minimal of shock.

I have a 2-3 year old Eureka Lemon that is flourishing and looks like it may have a bloom bud and a 2 year old Owari Satsuma that looks a little less flourishing, but still healthy. They are currently in 10 inch pots and about 2 1/2 feet tall. I constantly have to pinch off root stock suckers. I feed with miracle grow acid about twice a month and water them about once to twice a week in the summer. in the winter, no food and about once a month waterings. They are both on my patio.

If the plants do flower and set fruit, should I pick it off to ease the transport (never mind how young they are!)

Can citrus be indoor in winter and outdoor in summer in NYC? How do those transitions work?

Can I just plunk these plants in a box to keep the dirt from getting all over and drive them across in the back seat of my car or do they need to be specially handled? If so, how?

Can I pretreat for insects just prior to leaving? They have shown some citrus leaf miner and I had to treat for mites last year.

Is there anything I should be doing now to ease the transition in the fall?

Any advice would be helpful.

Comments (8)