SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blueboy1977

My new addition N-33 Navel

blueboy1977
12 years ago

Just went to Froburgs Citrus Nursery in Alvin Tx and picked up a N-33. Im pretty excited about it because its been hard to find in my area lately for some reason or another. Im wanting to plant it in the ground but its mostly clay on top with alittle bit of sand and clay a couple feet down. Im sure drainage will be an issue at one time or another. That being said, it is on the north side of my back yard and has a very slight slope toward the street on the back side of my fence plus they built our subdivision a few feet higher cause we are by the bay. I have 3 other citrus planted in the ground 3 different ways and all 3 seem to be happy for now! They have been there 1 full year now so we shall see.

I have a Mr. Mac Satsuma that is planted straight into the clay with no amendments. Just dug the hole alittle bigger than the pot and threw it in there. I did remove all the grass in a 6ft radious and threw down some pine bark mulch. Seems to be okay so far.

My Meyer Lemon I dug a 3ft saucer shaped hole about 1ft deep and filled it with everything except the clay I dug out of it. I filled it with Sand, 2 kinds of compost and pinebark mulch and made a mound of it to act as a raised bed. The base of the tree was about 1ft above the rest of the yard after planting. Its been a year now and it has settled down to about 8 inches above the yard. The tree seems to be happy.

I have a Rio Red Grapefruit that was planted like the Mr. Mac at first but I pulled it up and replanted it in a raised bed. I removed all the grass in a 4x4 square and stacked 2 4x4 posts to make a 8inch tall by 4x4 wide bed. I filled it with sand, compost and pine bark mulch then planted the grapefruit right on top of the clay and mounded up the soil to the base of the tree. It seems to be doing okay as well.

So here it the big question, what the heck do I do with this one??? I think John posted a link on planting trees the right way. Would it be better to do the raised bed like I did with the Grape fruit or follow the instructions on the like John provided? I just need some guidence man!!! I would hate to have 4 citrus planted 4 different ways but I will do what I have to do. Also do yall think I should dig up my currant trees and plant them doing a different method than what was done??? HELP

Comments (14)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner