SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lel_h

How aggressively can I prune a lemon tree?

lel_h
15 years ago

We have a lemon tree in our back yard that is about 10 feet tall. Since moving in 3 years ago, we have not really done much to maintain it, other than cut down the water shoots (I don't know if that's the right term; these are very tall, vertical new growths that seem to magically sprout from the branches).

The tree has always produced lousy lemons, probably because we neglect it. Huge lemons, very thick skin, very sour. They don't turn completely yellow during the growing season.

Well, now we feel like we should try to take care of it better. It's pretty clear that it needs to be thinned out in the middle - lots of crossing branches and small twigs that do nothing but suck up nutrients. When I find the proper protection for my face and arms, I'd like to start pruning this tree.

My question is: just how aggressively can I prune this poor tree? Can I go in and take out every single water shoot, crossing branch, and small twig, or will this doom this tree? Do I need to paint over the exposed cuts to prevent infection?

I think it has the potential to be a very nice looking tree. Don't know if it will improve the fruit quality, but it is a nice, mature tree that deserves better from us. :(

Thanks in advance.

Comments (6)