SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daniellalell

My New Baby

daniellalell
14 years ago

Meet my new baby :) We brought her home Saturday morning, she is a 7 month old Sun Conure. She is so sweet and loving, loves to give kisses :)

{{gwi:551962}} {{gwi:551963}} {{gwi:551964}}

The kids just adore her, as you can see, lol. We all do, she is so spoiled already. Her name was 'Daisey'. but I have a dog Daisy, so..she needs a new name..I am leaning towards Lola. DH and I cant agree on any names, lol.

Comments (33)

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Daniella what a beautiful family addition! Just GORGEOUS vibrant colors. I see something like this and I am amazed at what nature comes up with.

Kids usually come up with great names..nothing?

If you ask me...she ends up with a german name rofl

Lucy

• rosepedal
    14 years ago

D she is beautiful! The daughter is so cute too..Congrats on your new family member... How about sunny? lol I have two conures also..She looks so happy..Congrats D

• Related Discussions

My new babies!!!

Q

Comments (13)
    At Walmart the two song of India plants were dried up and brown. I don't think I could have saved them. Maybe I can find one later. I have tons of plants too. In almost every room of my house the windows are covered. There is still so many more I want to collect though. To me it's the greatest hobby!
    ...See More

Help me identify my new baby plant

Q

Comments (3)
    Hemionitis arifolia I can't give you any info other than that since I've never grown heart ferns before but at least you know the name.
    ...See More

My new baby...

Q

Comments (30)
    She is beautiful. Her coloring and deafness is likely a congenital issue. It occurs more often in several different breeds (Harlequin Great Danes are on that list), and referred to as "excessive white." There's no pigment in her inner ear. My Aussie's excessive white is due to two merle Aussies being bred together (double merle - a no-no for breeders). Lola may also experience blindness in the future for the same reason. There are a lot of studies out there now, more than you could find just five years ago. Regardless of all that, I'm sure Lola will be loved to pieces and she'll adapt like most dogs do!
    ...See More

Welcome my new baby Jade and Gems!!!

Q

Comments (9)
    Thanks so much everyone this is exactly why I searched for a good forum so I could get feedback and learn more to nurture the babies I love flowers plants and gardens....just really got into potting and growing things on my own.....the coloring thing worried me to but the research found that it is virtually harmless and I can add to water to keep them colored I think I would much rather prefer the natural now that I know . I have several plants on my porch and they seem to be doing well my Easter lily died rather quickly.....I have some Autumn beauty and Evening sun Sunflowers I planted from seed just a week ago and they have already come above surface and begun to shed the shells and sprout
    ...See More
  • rosepedal
    14 years ago

I just noticed she is pruning your daughter (a sign of love with them)..lol she loves you all already... So happy for you...Can you tell I keep coming back..Hugs

• daniellalell
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks guys! :)
    Lucy arent the colors stunning? She's still young, so from what I read she may not be done coloring up. I dont know, lol. Her tail feathers have the prettiest blues and greens.
    The kidsa rent halping much, lol..my son has been calling her Lola the last 2 days tho. Before that everyone called her 'The other Daisy' lol.
    I wanted to name my dog Jäger. But DH wasnt happy with that, It was between that and Daisy..I went with Daisy.
    HAHA! It could be her middle name! We did discover this summer that she likes to eat Daisies..Daisy Jäger, lol.

Barb, I thought maybe that 'Sunny' was kinda too common of a name, DH suggested that and 'Sunshine' as well.
    O and yeah, she's a preener! Loves to kiss. Its so cute, but it makes me nervous a little bit cuz she has a thing for preening the 5 year old's eyelashes, lol. Thats just too close to the eyeball for me..I just gently take my finger and put it between DD's eye and the bird's beak in a slow downward motion and say 'No'. Its funny cuz she's actually understanding it I think, lol. Whenever I say 'No' to anyone else she stops what she's doing and looks at me.

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

lol Daniella about Lola hearing NO and thinking it was for HER lol

I think she got her name if your DS is calling her that already lol. How does she react to it?

A bit off topic but I was going to post a message for you. Telling you that I will do the Daniella thing.

Going to go out and buy me boots ...best thing those fishing boots...I am sick and tired of the fire ants pissn on me.

The really came out so much after it rained and the grass is so high that you do not see the hills.

Now imagine THOSE poots and your pretty white dress roflmao

sorry...I figured I throw it in here hahahaha

OK back to the subject on hand.

I know that Patty has so many awesome birds. Me and knowing the differences in names and species...FORGIVE me Patty. All I know is that they are AWESOME and I really loved being able to see them without them being behind a Cage.

Maybe she will see this and give you some insight on your new baby :-)

Lucy

• rosepedal
    14 years ago

Lucy hahha white dress..I have had birds for thirty years and know a bit..lol Oscar my Mexican red head used to chased my cocker around the coffeee table...Crackin up it was so much fun to watch...

D she is awesome and you dont have the loud yelling of a big parrot..They can be so annoying sometimes... Mine used to mimmick my moms smoker cough...Lol it was so funny..Congrats I am tickled pink for you..:))))) Lots of smiles Barb

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Hey Barb is a newbie to brugs...........WELL...we all agree you are doing so GREAT with em...it really is not right to call you a newbie. *s* But you ARE A PRO when it comes to birds!

So my burning question is...Daniella does that kind of bird TALK?

Will she get much bigger?

Lucy

• daniellalell
    Original Author
    14 years ago

They can learn to say a few words, in a birdy voice. They don;t speak crystal clear. They are def capable of talking though. They just have to 'want' to, some do, some don't..and it takes alot of time.
    I will be trying my hardest to get her to whistle,& say a few things, at least. I say hello to her about 50 times a day, good morning, nigh' night, bye bye, good girl, love you.. But you just watch..her first word will be 'no', lol. Between me saying it to the kids, the animals..DH, LMAO!!
    Even worse..she is most likely to pick up a few curse words, lol.
    OMG that reminds me..years ago, a friend's sister had a parrot..big one, I cant remember what kind. She kept it in her room. When she moved out she couldnt take him, so they moved him to the living room..he made noises and said stuff you wouldnt believe, lmao..moaning, groaning..things that should def be kept in the bedroom, lmao.

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

roflmao oh my gosh. That bird would surely have to be locked up ha ha ha

Daniella, I have a perfect way to teach her how to whistle, ok it is a girl but who cares lol

Just put on your boots...but only with that hot sexy white dress...you have her whistling in no time ...and she NO NO when you wanna take it off again ha ha ha

Lucy

• pagrdnr
    14 years ago

She's cute Dasniella. How big will she get? I like how you already have her trained to understand what "no" means.

• karyn1
    14 years ago

OMG she's beautiful! She looks so sweet, I take it she was a hand fed baby? Do you have any other birds?

Too funny about your friend's parrot's vocabulary. You've got to be careful. lol

• haase
    14 years ago

Dani, where have you been? Until just recently I haven't seen you in a while. The bird and the little girl are beautiful. Congratulations.

I had parakeets once, and the one named "Sam" finally told my husband one day, what I had preached to him over and over again. He said "We need a maid, we need a maid!"

Ingrid.

• sibhskylvr
    14 years ago

Daniella

Whatever you name her - she is beautiful! Congrats on the new addition to the family & I'm sure we'll see LOTS of pics as she grows! (hint! hint!) Thanks for sharing your new baby with us!

Mike

• taz56
    14 years ago

Hey girl,looks like we have something else in common!
    Dorothy and I use to raise birds!We don't anymore,but
    I have 7 pet birds one being a sun conure name Teaco!
    They are wonderful pets very love'n, hope you and
    your family enjoy your new bird :)
    Susan

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

Daniella, your DDs and your new bird are beautiful! I don't see your bird as "Sunshine" more like "Sunset" with those brilliant colors. Let us know when you finally name her.

• daniellalell
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks guys :)

El, me too! thanks :) I don't normally post pix of the girls, I really dont like to, but its kinda hard to take pics of the bird when she's on me, lol.
    I thought the same thing when DH said 'Sunshine'

Susan, what other kind of birds do you have?

hehe, lol Mike, you KNOW you all will be seein lots of pix!

Ingrid, I wasn't on the comp much, mostly away from the computer, was in a bit of a funky depression for a few days. I think DH knew this, plus he was in the dog house, lol, so I think thats why when I saw her Friday night, and was playing with her & gushing over her, he said 'than get her'. She's definitely lifted my spirits. But being in the state I was in, just made the decision on a large purchase really hard for me. I had a really hard time justifying such a purchase on Friday night, but we went back Sat morning and got her, lol.
    Thats too funny, about your parakeet!! :)

Karyn, yes she was hand fed. I don't have any other birds, we had birds when I was younger, had cockatiels and parakeets, they were all so nasty, I hated them, lol.
    DH wants to get another one, but I wanna stay with just the one. You have birds dont you? in your menagerie? lol

Thanks SHawn :) SHe should get to be about 1'. Not a big bird.

LOL Lucy about the dress! Get them boots! Be careful with those dang fire ants, so glad we dont have them here.

I think the name Lola is it. I mentioned the name only once or twice, but all the kids like it, and they are now always referring to her as Lola instead of 'The other Daisy' or 'the bird'. So, Lola it is.

Thanks again everyone :)

• texasfern
    14 years ago

Ohhh a sun conure!
    I used to breed and raise exotic birds. Conures were amoung my favs. I had a half moon conure for years.
    I gave up breeding birds because it was so difficult for me to give them up!
    I then turned to hand raising for other breeders. That was wonderful.
    I raised mccaws, cockatoos, lorikeets,cockatiels and african greys amoung others.
    I don't have any now, and I miss them so much.
    So good to know there are bird people in here as well.
    Thanks for the pics.

• karyn1
    14 years ago

The menagerie is growing. I'm not sure if you saw Molly an AFL. We just got her and I still have the 3 baby chinchillas plus my 4 adults as well as the other 10 fur, feather and scale babies. We also got Kyle a Chinese Dwarf hamster. I named it Not a Hamster because it's really a mouse. There's nothing hamster-like about it except it stuffs it's cheek pouches with food. It even has a tail but it is very sweet. Yes I do have a lutino love bird named Sunny. lol Jake really wants to get a male sugar glider to breed with our females but I'm afraid we'd end up keeping the babies. I am selling the baby chinchillas though. It's just too much.

The Sun Conures remind me of lorakeets because of the bright coloring but I don't know anyone that keeps a lorakeet as a pet. Too messy because they are nectar eaters, nasty poopy everywhere.

• lon2250
    14 years ago

Congats on your new member of the family. She is as prity as a sunrise. She sounds like a very smart bird.

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Texasfern I missed that you raised lorakeets when I posted. Did you have a hard time cleaning up after them?

• daniellalell
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Karyn, I just searched and found her pics, she is sooo cute! So cuddly looking. I love rabbits. DD has been wanting one for quite some time now, but I keep saying no. Both DD's just got hamsters. That's so funny about the dwarf, love the name!! LOL!!
    The lady at the pet store was trying to talk them into getting the dwarf ones instead of the short hairs..but I told her no thanks..I think they are ugly, and I am not getting a permit for a couple of hamsters, lol. We'll take the ones they already have picked out, regular ol short hair hamsters. They are cute, one is a peachy color and the other looks like rocky road ice cream, with that swirled marshmallow. Peaches and Mowgli. Why the 5 year old wanted to name hers Mowgli, like the jungle book boy I have no clue, lol.
    We originally went there for DH to get a ferret, and Amber to get a rat, but I want a female rat not a male..their nuggets are just too big, too in your face, lol. Its just too much for me to handle. They dont carry females, so I said we'd look somewhere else, but then she saw the hamsters.

lol..you have a chinchilla farm!! I cant believe you still have all those babies, I knew you couldnt give them up, lol.
    Aw, come on..get Jake the glider. They are so dang cute.

thanks Lonny & Kim, (eerrr, did I get the names right? I hope?)
    thank you too, Texasfern. Yeah we've got alot of animal lovers here.

• taz56
    14 years ago

Hi Dan.....
    to answer your question about the birds!
    I have a Cockitoo,African Grey, Orange Wing
    Parrot, a green ringneck, a blue ringneck,
    a sun conure and a pearl cockitel. I had a
    Blue & Gold McCall name Max but he died last
    year :(
    Susan

• figara
    14 years ago

Beautiful baby. Congratulation. I love birds.
    I have an Amazon parrot who is 19 years old, 2 budgies and their 3 weeks old baby.

• mantorvillain
    14 years ago

OK, I don't keep any birds at all but find it interesting and very neat that so many folks here share a love for their feathered and their leafy friends.
    I do have my fish (inside and out) but wonder if I might be 'pushing' it a bit with DW if I started keeping birdies which could outlive us (from what I've hear anyhow).
    I really enjoy this forum and all the wonderful pixs shared.

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Daniella what do you mean about a permit for a couple hamsters? We have 2 other hamsters, a regular peach and white short hair and a peach long hair. Jake has a female rat with a nasty attitude. I've never met such a nasty rat. If she doesn't know you she'll bite. Not a Hamster is a boy and talk about big stones, they are 1/4 of his body, gross! I AM getting rid of the baby chins!!!! If I get a male glider are you going to take the babies? I have 2 females. The babies are super cute by the time they come out of the pouch though. I've never owned a ferret but do love skunks. I'd get one but they are illegal to keep in MD now.

• daniellalell
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Karyn, here in NJ according to the NJ Dept of Fish & Wildlife, we need an exotic pet permit for dwarf hamsters. Believe that crap?!?! For a freakin hamster??? Ridiculous.
    Ferrets too, but I can understand that more.
    Karyn I would def take a baby...or two! Don't tempt me!!! Dang I wish you and I lived closer..it's not thaat far, but theres no way DH would ever wanna drive to MD to pick up some more animals for me, lol.
    Then again, he used to drive to DE for cigs all the time..hmmm
    I wonder if Jake's rat is nasty cuz she is being protective of him? He's her mate, lol. She prob sees him that way.
    Wonder if all female rats are like that or if sex doesnt make a difference.
    lol..yeah you're gettin rid of those baby chins alright..suuure!! lmao. I'll believe it when I see it! HAHA!
    Why are the skunks illegal, does it have to do with rabies?

mantorvillain, I'm sorry, I can't recall if you have shared you name with us or not? What if you got her one as a gift, lol. DH is well known for doing that..if I get a gift from him instead of money, it's usually cuz it's something HE wants, lol.

Figara, thank you :) pix pix, please!!!

Susan, I love macaws, they are goreous! Someday maybe I will have one. I am so sorry for your loss.

• taz56
    14 years ago

Dan...... here's some of my babies!
    Hugs!
    Susan

{{gwi:551965}}
    {{gwi:551966}}
    {{gwi:551967}}
    {{gwi:551968}}

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Susan your birds are beautiful. What is the 2nd one? Is the last one an African Gray? I heard that they are one of the best talkers. I love cockatoos. The woman that I get my pet supplies from has a gorgeous Black Palm Cockatoo. He was part of a seizure of illegal birds almost 20 years ago that the US customs distributed to qualified breeders.

Daniella I think it is because of rabies that skunks are illegal. I don't understand that though because you would get a pet vaccinated.

• daniellalell
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Susan they are beautiful! Love the AG! Thanks for sharing :)

yeah karyn, that would be the only reason I can think of, yet I agree it doesnt make sense, lol. You have to get other animals their rabies shots, same as you would a skunk if it were a pet..I dont get it.

O on another note..Lola seems to be trying really hard to say 'hello' her 'uh-oh' changed to 'eh-oh'. And she sounded like she may have tried to bark this morning, lol.
    DS swears he heard her laugh...I think it may have been the tv, lol.

• taz56
    14 years ago

Dan.... thank you, about your conure it can and will
    talk it's alittle young yet but you can train her to
    say things I love you, hello, nite nite, and so on it
    took mine a little over a year to talk and they can
    mimic sounds including laughing! Enjoy!

Karyn thank you the second bird is an orange wing parrot
    loud noisey but I love him and yes the last one is a AG.
    and they have the largest vocabulary of all parrots!
    Susan

• daniellalell
    Original Author
    14 years ago

lol Susan, I am just nervous about the words she may say that I dont want her to. I admit, I curse ALOT.
    I say nigh-night to her every night, try to talk to her as much as possible. And I whistle & sing to her, lmao..she probably doesnt wanna hear that tho. If she could tell me to 'shutup lady!' she prob would!!!
    She's very interested when I talk to her, she moves her beak and tongue, and wants to get right in my face..When I walk away, she'll say 'eh-oh' and if I keep walking & dont respond she'll squawk at me. She's so cool. I am glad I got her. Now, if she'd just stop pooping in her water bowl 500 times a day, lol. I feel like I am changing her water more than anything else I do now.

O! I finally got her to take a bath! She wouldnt go in unless I had my hand in the water with my fingers splashing. She was making all kindsa sounds at me, but she finally went in. When I would stop wiggling my fingers, she'd get out again.

• gardenpaw
    14 years ago

Congratulations on your new baby!
    She is gorgeous!
    I used to have a conure, his name was "Poppy".
    They are very smart and usually bond with one person.
    Poppy would actually get very protective if anyone got to
    close.
    How old is she?

Karen

• daniellalell
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Karen, thank you :) she is 7 months. We try to have everyone hold her every day, and everyone pet her and talk to her when others are holding her so that she doesnt get protective of anyone, and hopefully she'll love everyone equally. The 5 year old thinks she's hot stuff walking around with her on her shoulder, lol. They sit and watch TV together too.

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Ohio