SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tom_termine

Agave potatorum de-pup and aftercare

TT, zone 5b MA
12 years ago

Hi -

I finally worked up the nerve to de-pup my favorite agave - first time I have done this. My question now is how to care for mom and babies at this point.

Mom is back in the sun (is that okay, or should I put her in the shade?) as she did not lose many roots in the transaction. In fact, she has a huge rootball. Babies were potted in a dry mix (how long until I water them?) and are in a shady spot. How long should I keep them shaded?

Here is what happened.

before:

{{gwi:582308}}

{{gwi:582309}}

{{gwi:582310}}

Mom after de-pup:

{{gwi:582311}}

babies with roots

{{gwi:582312}}

{{gwi:582313}}

babies with no roots...do they have a chance?

{{gwi:582314}}

{{gwi:582315}}

Babies in their new homes

{{gwi:582316}}

How did I do?

Thanks.

Tom

Comments (5)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

Tom,

You did just fine. Just mist the wee ones (the ones without roots) daily and they'll grow roots on their own. Water the rooted ones as you would any plant. If you really want to pamper them, water them with the transplant juice.

Non-rooted Agaves are like non-rooted Aloes - rest them on/slightly in soil, give them heat (particularly that nice bottom heat) if you can, and mist away every day. As warm as summer is, you should see it rooted within a month or so.

And you might be starting a trend here - my A.p. needs repotting, too, although my pups are minute compareed with yours.

• TT, zone 5b MA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jeff -

Thanks.

What about the sun / shade question? Is mom okay in the sun now? What about the pups?

Tom

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Hey, Tom, great work!

After re-potting or root disturbance, I usually protect my plants from full sun for a few days.
    With the rootless pups, you might want to protect them just a bit longer than the established plants.

Josh

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

Tom,

You may do it as Josh suggests, or you may do it correctly (just japing, Josh!!!!). Really, either way is fine, but personally I'd grow them in the same conditions as Mom was in. I think Josh's point is valid for more tender plants, and it probably holds true a lot of the time, but with this Agave, I'd put it back in full sun (if she was there before). The rooted pups surely can go back there, too, where they'd be off to the races sooner (the better to take advantage of the rest of the summer).

• TT, zone 5b MA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Josh - that is usually my instinct on these things, too. Based on what Jeff is saying, I think I may go half-kamikaze on this...

Pups in morning sun...Mom back in full sun. Over the week, I will work the pups back over to full. Yeehaah!

Tom