SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bonechickchris

After all these years, I finally caught red spider mites ;( Help!

bonechickchris
10 years ago

Hi everyone!

All my years of growing citrus, I NEVER had red spider mites. Now, I do and I am so upset! Not sure if I caught them because of all the recent up potting issues I had and they got attracted to my trees because some of them were weaker than usual, or if I caught them from any recent citrus purchases. All I know is that in 10 years of owning citrus I have never had them before until now.

So, any suggestions or tips you can suggest? They are currently in a greenhouse where I try to keep low temps of 50F, not counting the last 2 nights of single digit weather, where the GH did go down into the 40's F.

Here's what I have done so far

-using hort Neem oil
-washed all the leaves off of every tree, one by one,
-I also thought the very cold temps here in NJ would kill them off. (It was down to -1 F the other night, and greenhouse got into the high 30's for the first time)
-washed down what I could of that part of the GH

After a week of doing the above, I thought I managed them well. Then this morning, what do I see? More crawling around. So I thought I would see if there are any hidden tips out there to get rid of them and what is the worst that can happen to citrus from them?

I assume meyermike will be chiming in,,, I believe I have read about him having horror issues with the same critters.

Thanks everyone! Christy

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022