SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mandarin1_gw

Finally, a Meyer Lemon! Follow -up to "finicky" Meyers

mandarin1
11 years ago

Picked my very first Meyer Lemon ever this morning, so excited I had to share! Never would have happened without help from the good people here! It was a 3-yr. Meyer from 4 Winds bought early last Spring, planted in gritty mix, watered with Foliage Pro at 1/4 tsp. per gallon every watering. I also used Pro-tekt at 1/4 tsp per watering. Added vinegar to the water to a PH of about 6.0, give or take. I let it grow 3 lemons - or more accurately, it allowed me to have 3 lemons; I've learned that the Meyer pretty much sets it's own course. Just wanted to say thanks!

I bought a variegated pink lemon at the same time, and thought the Meyer would give me a lot more trouble? Not at all... The Meyer, a kumquat, and a key lime transfered beautifully to gritty mix this year and I love them! But I'm on my 3rd variegated, because #1 died when I transferred it to gritty mix, followed by a 2nd try, same thing happened. The 3rd one has been in the original nursery pot and soil for 5 months, it's doing great. I'm afraid to put it in gritty mix, but at this point it needs a larger pot. It's actively growing and blooming right now, so I'll wait a little longer. I don't know if the variegated issue is coincidence or not. Are their roots more shallow?

Comments (6)