SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gurley157fs

Want to get started with carnivorous plants

gurley157fs
17 years ago

Hello all,

I have been lurking here for a bit and now that I have decided I'm want to jump into CPs I figured I should make a first post so I can get started asking questions.

I grow all kinds of stuff from roses and daffs to bananas and brugmansia. I have absolutely no experience with carnivorous plants. I did purchase two while in Tampa last spring and one of the poor things looks like is actually survived (barely).

I live in the South Carolina midlands and would like to grow plants that I can keep out of doors all year. I can move them into an unheated greenhouse if they need it.

Here are the things that I think I know so far - please correct me if I am incorrect:

1. They like direct sunlight. Is some shade O.K.?

2. Should be planted in a bog. I was thinking of making an above-ground artificial bog that I can move if needed.

3. Do not give any kind of fertilizer or plant in soil. Use peat, sphagnum and vermiculite or sand as planting medium.

Also, I have read tons and am still confused about the names. Could someone suggest names of plants that would do well in my area? And what sources do you buy from. I want to find a reputable source to purchase from.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!