SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flower_power2

Help citris loosing fruit and leaves

flower_power2
17 years ago

I purchased 1 campbell valencia orange, 1 washington navel orange and 1 dwarf redblush grapefruit from a nursery almost 3 weeks ago. I brought them home and put them in the heated basement under hydroponic 400w grow lights with my other plants. Everything was fine and they were blooming like crazy. About a week later the valencia orange started dropping the little fruits (I pollenated them by hand). Then they leaves started falling off. They didnt turn colors or have any blotches. They were still the same green as when I brought them home. I contacted the grower who told me to take them away from the hydroponic light and put them by a window. I did that a week ago. They are in a corner and have a large window on each side and get alot a bit of light there. (we are in Illinois) The fruit is still dropping off, the flowers also and now most of the leaves. I water them when the top 1-2 inches of the pot is dry and the pots do not sit in water. They are on pebbles so the roots stay dry. The small themometer I bought (sitting in one of the pots) says 68 degrees and the humidity goes between 45-52%. It goes up to 52% when I mist them (3 times a day). Even more confusing is that when they were in the basement under the hydroponic lights I was getting alot of new growth .

HELP what I am doing wrong? My husband will kill me if I loose these plants as they cost me $200.00. I have pictures I can email you. I dont know how to post them here.

Thanks, Debbie (chimneyman20002000@yahoo.com)

Comments (18)