SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lemonsforchams

using plastic tarps for outdoor plants

lemonsforchams
15 years ago

Hello All,

I have kept CPs for several years, though my interest turned to toher things and I have just recently decided to redo my bog garden with hardy sarracenia and some marginally hardy plants sepecies, such as VFT, and more southern sarracenia. I have heard mention of using platic tarps to cover and protect the plants in Winter, but I have some concerns. First, will this be enough protection in temps that get 10F on very cold nights? Secondly, what about sunny days, is there danger of overheating? I had fine luck in zone 7 with most trumpets and VFTs, but move 3hrs north was too cold for my VFT and it killed my 4yo plants and have significantly slowed the S.flava, from reaching larger trap sizes and forming a larger clump. I do have an unheated basement, that would be useful for overwintering, but my bog is too large to fit through the door frame:^) I also have a covered carport, that is open to the elements on all sides, except the side against the house and the roof, which is covered. Would that prevent too drastic of freezes? I think it is the wetness, combined with the cold, b/c most of the plants survive the Winter, but succomb in cold, wet, Spring. I am greatful for your ideas.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor