SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ams2009

I need advice, should I release them tomorrow?

ams2009
14 years ago

In case you haven't read my previous posts, I currently have 4 gst butterflies, 2 of which eclosed last Monday, the other two eclosed this past weekend. I have been unable to release them due to bad weather, rainy, cold, rainy and cold, a little snow, you name it. I tried to release the ones that eclosed last monday on two seperate occasions and they did not move for hours ( I am assuming this was because even with it being partly sunny on these days, the temps were just too low and they could not get warm enough to fly) so I took them in before dark each time.

Well, tomorrow it is going to be clear and sunny, with temps around 57-65 degrees, thursday it will be clear and sunny, but, the temp is supposed to be 37 degrees at 7am and reach about mid-40's by afternoon, it is supposed to rain friday, possibly saturday and i think it is still going to be in the low temps on these days. So I am wondering if I should release them tomorrow and let them experience freedom since two of them are already over a week old, and probably running out of time to spread their wings outdoors, or should i just keep them and continue feeding them indoors, since they probably are not going to survive very long if they are released tomorrow due to the cold and rainy weather that will be here on friday. I feel like I am sending them to an early death if I set them free, but I feel like I am robbing them of a chance to be in their natural wild outdoors if I keep them in so they will be safe, I feel like tomorrow is the only chance the oldest two may get to be released outdoors. WHat do you feel would be the right thing to do in this situation? Keep them indoors and safe even though their days are short, or release them and give them the chance to mate/lay eggs and wish them well? Thanks, I wish they would have eclosed before or after this spell of bad weather, i feel bad for them.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida