SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bedford8a

I went to TX Discovery Gadens today w/Monarchs

bedford8a
12 years ago

Thanks to the information posted on this forum, I was able to take some extremely late Monarchs to the butterfly house at the Texas Discovery Gardens in Dallas today. I'm a teacher and a student found a sheltered patch of tropical milkweed that still had caterpillars on it 10 days ago!

For those of you who took your butterflies there, I did see a few Monarchs among all the tropical butterflies. I also saw some fritillaries and a few swallowtails. What was odd was that all the native butterflies were fluttering up against the glass towards the sun, while the non-natives drifted happily among the flowers. I know someone posted that they were told the Monarchs would have the urge to migrate, wouldn't nectar and therefore wouldn't live long in the butterfly house, which is sad. I reasoned that my Monarchs faced certain death outdoors here in North Texas in mid-December and at least they now have a nice home to spend their final days. (I also had a great excuse to make the 40 mile round trip to a place I had been meaning to visit for two years!)

Comments (2)

Sponsored