SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bob_71

Last call for free seeds

bob_71
13 years ago

I have seeds from this year's crop of-Garlic Chives (Allium tuberosum), Wild petunia (Ruellia humilis), Wild Senna (Cassia hebecarpa), Tropical Milkweed (Asclepias currascivica) and Common Milkweed (Asclepias syriaca). Please advise by e-mail if you would like some of any of these seeds. (I have orders already from Bandzimom and Imabirdnut for for the Senna...both of you are welcome to add any of these).

The Tropical Milkweed is one of the brightest flowers in my garden. It is the earliest of the Milkweeds to bloom (start to bloom when plants are about 10" tall). One of the prime nectar plants for the Monarch as well as a reliable host plant.

{{gwi:553445}}

{{gwi:553446}}

The Common Milkweed's that I have grown have not bloomed the first year but they have provided more, and larger, leaves than any of the other milkweeds that I grow. Their subtle colored blooms will be a bonus in their second year and from then on.

{{gwi:553448}}

{{gwi:553450}}

The Garlic Chives were among the prettiest plants in my garden and were outstandingly popular with butterflies and many other small insects. I do not know whether these will bloom the first year from seed. The plants were in bloom for over two months.

{{gwi:553453}}

The Wild Petunia plant was in bloom over a very long season but each bloom only lasted one day. These plants are supposed to serve as host plants for the Common Buckeye...in my garden, I had constant caterpillars on the Snapdragons but none ever appeared on the Wild Petunias. It was a first year plant so we'll see hoe it does next year.

{{gwi:553454}}

The Wild Sienna hosted the Gray Hairstreak (Strymon melinus) in it's first year. A nice plant with bright yellow flowers and Mimosa-like foliage.

{{gwi:553455}}

{{gwi:553456}}

Thanks,

Bob

Comments (7)

Sponsored