SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cghpnd

Advice/help for new butterly gardens~please

cghpnd
10 years ago

Good morning everyone!

I'll try to keep this short as possible. My apologies for run off and bad grammer as im still sleepy :/

I have a small (container) garden at my home and im still learning about gardening. Ive only been doing this for almost a year. Which i started for the monarchs.
I have mostly swamp and tropical milkweed with a few different nectar plants for the butterflies.
I'm doing a few different gardens 1 is a 200 sq ft garden plot, a school garden and 3 gardens at families homes. They are just the ones I have locked in. Some properties pending...
Now I have plenty of swamp milkweed to put in, but we/they like a diverse garden of butterflies if that makes any sense.

What would yall do to prepare and to keep cost low?
What are reliable butterfly host and nectar plants you have tried?
And where could I get those seeds?
I can get mulch for free thats no problem and card board as Tiffany suggested.

I will not be doing this alone. My dh and in laws, the children will be helping and there will be other parents involved at the school.
This is their first as gardeners. I know more than them and that's really not saying much lol. I'd appreciate any advice and feed back. I know it is alot to take on but hey if it helps the pollinators then im game.
I'm in Northern Va and gardens are in Fredericksburg Va and Spotsylvania Va. Total acreage is about 5.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH