SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ctlady_gw

REALLY good (for advice) nurseries in Oakland/Berkeley?

ctlady_gw
16 years ago

I'm a New England gardener myself, but my daughter lives in Berkeley and her boyfriend has just bought a Craftsman bungalow in Oakland. Her job is to create a garden (preferably "food producing") out of the small backyard, which is now mostly grass. The yard does have a variety of fruit trees, but they will need advice (what they actually have, how to prune, whether they need more -- or male/females, etc -- to get fruit). In addition, they want to put in a fast-growing screen in the back (trees or shrubs) to block the view of an adjoining apartment building. She asked for advice on plants but of course I only know East Coast species and cultivars (I did suggest clumping bamboo as one option -- I assume that would do well in the Bay area?) She has never gardened before, aside from helping a bit in a family vegetable garden in Connecticut when she was young -- but she's eager to learn more.

She has a birthday coming up so I thought of getting her a really good, basic West Coast gardening book with an emphasis on vegetable gardening and/or fruit trees (I just saw the thread below this with some suggestions), along with a gift certificate to an especially good nursery in the area (by "especially good" I mean both in terms of stock AND in terms of their willingness/ability to give advice). Can anyone suggest a REALLY good place in the Oakland/Berkeley area? With the incredible abundance of plants out there, I have to think there are some incredible nurseries but I'm hoping there is one that not only has great stock but a staff who are willing to answer newbie questions -- my experience here on the East Coast is that some places do that better than others!

(I'm not sure of forum etiquette about asking for recommendations for commercial establishments -- if that's off limits, but you have a place you really recommend, please email me privately!)

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts (and sorry to sneak into a California forum... feel free to visit us in the New England forum any time! ;)

Comments (8)