SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
misssherryg

November's Butterflies and Caterpillars

MissSherry
16 years ago

There are still plenty of gulf frits, cloudless sulphurs, sleepy oranges, little yellows, red admirals and various skippers, especially checkered and long-tailed, flying around this November 18th.

The only caterpillars I've got are about 5 late instar palamedes cats that are growly oh-so-slowly in this cool weather and some gulf frits whose slow growth rate makes the palamedes look fast! I don't know how they ever get any butterflies in the far north!

Many of my gulf frits are on my new vines that I'm growing in pots. I've brought these pots into the house twice when we had a few nights where it went below 40 - no freeze yet. These gulf frits have lived happily in my kitchen and/or bathroom during the cold weather, as did my resident frog - I saw it peek its head out of the drain spout of its pot this morning when I took the plants back out. I wanted the plants to get some of the forecast rain - I sure hope it gets here!

Here is a picture I took of one of my winter gulf frit cats. Look at the difference between its coloring and a picture I made last summer of a GF cat - temperature must make the difference!

{{gwi:551703}}
{{gwi:529128}}
MissSherry

Comments (11)

Sponsored