SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ams2009

deformed chrysalis question??

ams2009
14 years ago

This one pupated this morning, he is the one who had so much trouble biting pieces off of the leaves and kinda struggled last week or two. After he purged and hung his sling, it appeared that he was hanging properly just like all the others have done, but when I checked him this morning, he had pupated and i noticed that something was wrong. It looks like he either did not make a cremaster(if that is correct word) to attach the lower part of his body to, or if he did, he somehow got detached from it at some point when he was pupating. I don't know if you will be able to see it in the pics, but basically, the bottom part of his body is not attached to the cardboard box at all, the sling is still attached and he is still in sling, but there is nothing anchoring the lower part of his body, so he is almost totally vertical, and the mid section of his body appears to be either attached to the cardboard box, or very, very close to it, and the old skin is still attached to the lower part of his body. Is there any way that this one could emerge without any deformities when it is hanging this way? I would like to keep it and see if he ends up emerging without any problems, but want to do what is best for it, not sure what went wrong here, I was so happy that he had finally made it to stage where he would pupate, and wasn't expecting that he would have any problems after that, thought it would go smoothly, but apparently something did not, so please let me know if any of you have ever experienced a situation like this and what you would suggest I do. Thanks! Here are his pics...

{{gwi:551473}}

{{gwi:551475}}

{{gwi:551477}}

{{gwi:551480}}

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths