SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dnieter

odd/difficult sarracenia 'okee giant' seeds

dnieter
16 years ago

Last year I cross-pollinated two of my S.minor "Okeefenokee Giant" plants and one had an excellent seed-set in the flower. I put the seed pod in the fridge for the month of November, then stratified the seeds on peat in a refrigerator and sprayed with fungicide. I should point out that I had forty seed compartments with two seeds/compartment. Nothing happened until May when seven seeds sprouted at the exact same time. Since then, I've had three more sprout (one this week) from seeds I thought were long-dead.

My question is, how drawn-out is this Sarracenia seed sprouting? I've got >100 plants and I would like to start sprouting seeds from some of the rarer ones (S. montana, rosea, alabamensis, oreophila, etc.) I'm going to grow these seedlings year-round for the first year (this winter) then hibernate them the winter of '98-'99.

I'm not complaining, because I'll always be happy with more Okee Giants, but I was hoping somebody with more experience at seed proliferation could give me some pointers.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (4)

Sponsored