SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
penguingreen

Growing Blueberry Misty in SoCal

PenguinGreen
9 years ago

Hi all!

So ended up picking up a Blueberry Misty from the store (Costco) and looking for advice on how best to plant/care for success.

Searching online and reading the forums seems the best approach is:
1) Planting it into a container so I can control the PH/Soil
2) Choosing a location with lots of sun

Since I'm a minimalist (read: lazy/busy with a newborn) don't really have too much time to monitor it so want to plant it and have the sprinklers regularly water it w/o too much hassle.

My idea is to plant it into a 15 gallon container and then plant that into the ground next to my tomato bed. Planting it into the ground is so the sprinklers can easily water it w/o much worry.

I could plant it straight into the ground next to the tomatoes but to acidify that bed area would take a lot longer. Right now my PH is readying around 7 and I read Blueberry likes 5.

Some concerns:
1) The mature size of a Blueberry Misty is 5' H and 5' W so likely it will grow beyond the 15 gallon
2) Planting it into the ground could cause drainage issue but could mitigate with additional holes

Right now the plant is real small so it will be several years, also wondering if with regularly pruning you could "contain" it to "fit" in a 15 gallon (18" wide x 14" deep) container.

Or it would just be better to bury it straight into the ground and try to acidify my entire plant bed which is a 15' x 3' area (it's not raised) so the soil is mixed with typical hard red clay that is in SoCal. The bed has been amended a bit and successfully grow tomatoes in that area (although those are more tolerant than blueberries). Current PH of that area is a around 7.

Looking for advise on how best to do this.

Thanks!

Looking back I probably should have gotten more of a "dwarf" blueberry which may have been a better match. Owell!

Trying to see if I can get this to work.

Comments (10)