SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
parrothead_fa

Seem to have unlocked the secrets of s. florida brugs

parrothead_fa
17 years ago

Of course, I'm no expert, I was a newcomer to these forums only a year ago. But I seem to have amassed some info simply through trial and error, and from chatting with local nurserymen. My brugs are huge now, in bloom all the time, and in some cases, I'm considering removing some because I had no idea of their eventual size and growth habits. But I still have a soft spot for them and almost can't stand throwing out all those flowering wood cuttings. Anyone need any, our yard is getting cluttered with brugs in little pots rooting away! It seems that the best way to root them is put them in a medium weight soil mix after stripping all the leaves from the cutting. Then keep in dappled shade and keep well watered but not wet, and do not fertilize to encourage good root growth. This seems to work with nearly any size cutting as long as the nights are over 70 degrees. In 4-6 weeks, you should have little plants that are ready to set out in the ground (if you live in Fl)and, will bloom shortly if they were made from blooming wood. We have some little 21/2 and 3 footers with 13" flowers hanging off them. I just thought I'd post this cause maybe some others could use some of the info I've learned, or possibly would even like some free brugs (for shipping costs. I routinely cut side branches off as they form, leaving just 4 or 5 main trunks. They grow taller and seem to make more and bigger blooms this way. It seems a shame to throw out all these cuttings, but we have run out of any room for more brugs on our small 1/4 acre homesite, and I still have rooted plants sitting around in 6" pots. Most of ours are peach, white, Dr.Seuss, or frosty pink. Just thought I'd share since I have leaned stuff here myself.

Comments (8)