SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nycti

New Nepenthes Help

nycti
16 years ago

Hi Forum,

I am new to the forum and to raising CP's. I've had good luck with a Sundew following the information I learned here in this forum. Especially how to acclimate to less humidity by raising the dome slowly over 2 weeks and adding more light. Thank all of you for making this information available.

However, one week ago I purchased a Nepenthes Hybrid (appears to be a ventricosa or ventricosa x, a VFT (probably typical) and a Butterwort (Ping.) from Home Depot. With these newest 3 I am slowly raising the domes which are half way up now and have them under 6400 lemuns of light. They are in an aquarium, not a terrarium set-up, to prevent drafts from central air conditioning and to help with climatizing. Their pots are on pebbles in a dish set in a tray of water, plants are not in standing water so as not to waterlog them. I have been careful to check dampness and water much less than the Sundew as I read they are more prone to root rot. They are all still in their 3 inch pots of moss in which I purchased them. I wanted to wait until they are acclimated to repot them. I use distilled water and have purchased appropriate soil when repotting time comes.

My VFT and Butterwort seem to be stabilizing but my poor Nepenthes is looking sadder by the day. When purchased a week ago leaves and pitcher had good color. Now pitcher color is still good though the pitcher top has closed, but the leaves are losing their healthy green color, getting lighter green. One leaf has yellowed and today the top of that leaf is blackening. I top watered it well when I received it a week ago and again yesterday. It has been misted with distilled water once a day as best as possible without disturbing the partially lifted dome. The pot is approximately 8 inches from the light source making the top of the plant and dome about 5 inches from the light. Could this be to close? It is still in the pot and moss it was shipped in, should it be repotted now rather than waiting until it is over the shock of shipping and Home Depot.

Any help, ideas or opinions would be appreciated. I live in zone 9, land of the oven, so outside at this time of year I'm afraid would cook the plants.

Thank You,

Nycti

Comments (6)

Sponsored