SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loess_roots

Aristolochia serpentaria available

loess_roots
15 years ago

I have available for fall planting, seed packets of the native pipevine, Aristolochia serpentaria (Virginia snakeroot), to share with the membership.

A. serpentaria is a shade loving perennial, is non-invasive, is rather small (12-15" high) and non-vining. Even with its smaller size, A. serpentaria has a reputation of being a preferred host plant for the pipevine swallowtail butterfly.

The plant is somewhat on the rare side, and is listed as a plant of special concern, or threatened and endangered in several states, and the United Plant Savers has the plant listed under "At Risk" of being over harvested and exploited.

By cultivating these plants and harvesting the seed and the rootstock in a sustainable manner, I am hoping to see these plants show up around the country as a native alternative to attracting the pipevine swallowtail butterfly.

Therefore, I would like this opportunity to share packets of A. serpentaria seed (for the price of a SASE) with the GW membership. If you have not yet been successful in attracting the pipevine swallowtail to your garden, this host plant may just work for you.

Please feel free to contact me for further information and details about obtaining a packet of seed.

Sincerely,

Rod Angeroth of Loess Roots

rodangeroth@yahoo.com

402-439-5256

Comments (8)

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz