SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_mn

Going to Charlotte area for a working vacation...

jennifer_mn
18 years ago

and I need your help. My sister and BIL moved there recently, and I am so looking forward to finally getting to visit the SouthEast!! I'm going to help them with their east-facing foundation, which is totally bare. I have a few questions--

1. Sister wants Hydrangeas and at least 1 Japanese maple. Is 'Endless Summer' the way to go, and what's a good Japanese maple? (We can't grow JM's here, so I don't know much about them).

2. What are some good evergreens that are easily maintained at around 3'? (Can't grow broadleaf evergreens here, either, so I'm pretty ignorant on that subject). I've seen the architect's plans for what was installed for their other foundation planting, and it looks like there are a lot of hollies, Otto Luyken Laurels, and Indian Hawthorne. That's the West foundation...Are these also suitable for East-facing?

3.What are some good nurseries? Are Loewes and Home Depot dependable for common plants, or should we go to regular nuseries?

4. Just what do you guys do about this "red clay" I've been hearing so much about? Is compost the ticket? I've instructed sister and BIL to collect as many coffee grounds as possible before I get there, which I plan on tilling in as I do here in Minnesota.

5. Is it a good time to plant in late March? I'm trying to figure out when I should actually go.

I could probably think of a lot more questions. I hope someone will help; I would really appreciate it.

They do have a gardener to take care of all this stuff. We just thought my helping with this would be a good excuse for me to come out there...Thanks for any help!

Comments (5)