SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
missbutterfly_gw

Red-Spotted Purple/Limenitis arthemis Eggs/Cat

MissButterfly
12 years ago

I put the scientific name on the heading of this thread just for you, Larry! :)

I saw a red-spotted purple in a wooded area on my way to the garden today, so it reminded me to look for eggs and caterpillars. I've been concerned about red-spotted purples, because I raised a lot of them this spring, and they eventually got a disease, probably a virus, and the remaining cats died.

Anyway, I found a very early instar cat, and, after I made its picture, I saw the butterfly laying eggs on the wild black cherry tree right in front of my porch.

This cherry tree is in my yard area also. The cat is very small, so I cropped the picture, and you can see that it's just beginning to sprout "horns" -

{{gwi:547235}}
I'm pretty sure I'm going to leave these to raise themselves. It's getting to be hibernaculum time, and I don't know how I could work that properly in a cage on my porch. I'd like the cats to respond to the normal spring stimuli of warm weather and new growth on the tree to come out of the shelter. It's possible that these cats won't make a hibernaculum, but continue to grow until they make their chrysalis. Hibernaculum-bound cats never get much bigger than the little bitty cat in the picture, so I should know soon.

I think this Mama is the same butterfly that I made a picture of a week or two ago in the same tree I saw her laying eggs on today -

{{gwi:538709}}
Sherry

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!