SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steveberry

broadcasting vs starting seed for bfly plants

steveberry
15 years ago

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the input recently re: my questions on CA Natives and Spreadout Plant Placement. It's been really helpful.

One of my new questions is about starting seed. I'm looking to save some money, possibly, by starting plants with seed rather than getting gallons or 4" pots. I'm looking at mostly herbaceous perennial host and flowering plants-- dill, fennel, and (what's the other one? parsley), echinacea, milkweed, bee balm, and bee plant, perhaps some salvias too. Stuff that I would imagine was tough and fast growing. Although, is that really true for these plants??

My first big question is this-- can I simply broadcast these seeds and throw some dirt over them this fall and get a reasonable number of them to germinate here in the mild SF Bay Area CA? Or do I need to start them inside and go through special germination processes? My house, sadly, isn't very big, and I have a crawling newborn, so it's not really an option to be growing seedlings inside. :( Thus, I'm looking at either--

1) Broadcasting packets of seed right about now (before the rains come) or

2) Buying lots of 4" pots and trying to water them more regularly

Also, one of my other concerns is that some of these plants might be pretty slow growers, and thus, I wouldn't really see any flowers for atleast another year or so. I can imagine, for example, that fennel and dill and parsley would grow big enough in one year from seed to be useful to cats(I see fennel do it every year as a weed)..... but I'm really unsure about the other ones-- milkweed, bee balm, bee plants, salvia etc.

Basically, the other main question is this-- is it even worth growing these plants from seed?? Or should I just by potted plants?

Thanks ahead of time everyone.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor