SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ams2009

need advice about GST cats , please read!!!

ams2009
14 years ago

I haven't checked my "new" navel tree lately for eggs, after about a week went by with no new eggs, I figured that the female gst had finally stopped laying eggs on the tree. Well, this morning I just happened to take a look at it, and low and behold, I found 6 tiny cats on it, and two, had just molted because I could see there old skin right behind them, and one was still trying to "shake" its old head capsule off. The tree, which I purchased back in august I believe, maybe september, had apparently been treated with some type of insecticide, because two of the cats from the first bunch i found on my other navel tree, got very sick and died after eating leaves from the new tree that i purchased when they had run out of foliage on my old tree. I am assuming that if these 6 cats have been eating the leaves of this tree, long enough for two of them to reach their first molt, that this tree is no longer contaminated, and I can now feed these leaves to the other 12 cats I have indoors??? After the two cats from first bunch got sick and died, I trimmed back All of the new growth on the tree and a lot of the old growth as well, it immediately started producing new foliage, and within a week I was finding eggs on it, so I took all the eggs I found and hatched them inside, and have been scrounging and "borrowing" host plant leaves from the few people I have been able to find who have GST host trees. I have 5 cats that have already pupated from these eggs, and the 12 others are in various stages of growth, if I can start feeding them the leaves from the tree in my yard, this would be wonderful as they have grown kind of slow, since I have been rationing what little new growth I have been able to find for them. I am still hesitant to feed them these leaves, after what happened with the two cats who died, but surely, if these new cats are all doing fine after eating ONLY these leaves, they must be safe now, right? thanks, any advice appreciated!!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction