SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
misssherryg

How's Butterflying in Your Area?

15 years ago

I was outside in the garden, deadheading numerous spent butterfly bush and rose blooms, and all the time I was doing it, I watched 3 cloudless sulphurs laying eggs over and over again on my Christmas cassias. The cassias are blooming, and they're laying most of the eggs on the unopened buds. We've had a real cold spell that felt like the middle of winter recently - our temps have been in the mid-30's for the past 3 or 4 nights. It's warming up today, though, and not only were the CSs laying eggs, the gulf frits were laying, too. The gulf frits are using two of my hybrid passionvines, p. 'White Wedding' - a cross between p. caerulea and something else and p. 'Incense' - a cross between p. incarnata and p. cincinnata. These two are making new growth. I'm seeing lots of common checkered skippers, sleepy oranges, and yesterday when we went to Cypress Creek Landing, I saw one of the hackberry butterflies. I couldn't tell which one, because I only saw the underside, and I'm not familiar with them enough to ID them without a field guide. I only see hackberry butterflies at Cypress Creek Landing, but I assume they occur near all the creeks and rivers, since that's where the sugarberries/celtis laevigata grow.

I've got plenty of chrsyalids and cocoons in my unheated guest room, and it's been pretty cold in there lately.

What kind of butterflying are you doing in this cool/cold weather?

Sherry

Comments (27)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting